Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

my babies.. just hatched out yesterday from shipped eggs (from Kansas).. they sent two eggs.. both hatched!
the gosling in the back hatched out first.. the one in front hatched out about 6 hours later and is still sleepy in this pic
I have no idea if these two are male or female (hopefully one of each).. just know they are adorable and so full of personality already!

we also have a mixed toulouse sebastopol gosling that hatched out the end of May (also from shipped eggs)

Thats just a juvenile, lots of growing yet to go for sure. Living in a cellar isn't the ideal place for a goose. They need sunshine, and to be outside grazing as grass/weeds ect and it should be the largest part of their diet. I would also suggest plastic for the water so you don't run the risk of metal leaching into the water. Metal poisoning can kill a goose.
I think I said he sleeps there ONLY. He is out all day with the chickens. The cellar is ideal for him for during the night hours. It's clean, safe and warm. What more could I do. Perhaps you did not take the time to read what I wrote. The can I might change. That being said I have seen "metal water cans". I don't know where you get your info from. No matter thanks for trying to be helpful.

I appreciate the info about the metal cans... My babies have helped themselves the the goats' 30 gal water tub a few times :(

I have question.... I think my babies hatched out around the first of May... They are starting to feather and their neck, chest, right on down to the belly is smooth feathers....Does this mean they will all be smoothies?? Or can that change??

Last edited:
PW sorry you take things so wrongly. I was making comments based on the photo you shared. A metal poultry water is different from a metal can. TSC and other feed stores sell heavy black rubber pans and buckets made from the same black rubber too. They are a wonderful item to have around with geese. Scrub up easily, don't tip easily, and allow deep enough water for the heads to fully dip in.

Renie, I bet they are fine, we have the rubber made black water troughs similar to the metal ones. It was more a warning on the metal can not intended to hold water long term. (example.. Coffee cans and similar items) those types of items can and do leach into water and long term I personally wouldn't use them with any of our geese (30 total now) or other fowl for that matter.

Feathering generally doesn't change a smooth is a smooth. Smoothes will have that neat tightly woven feathering (like any other waterfowl) where curly get the (corn row look on their chest) and the back feathers stick up with down showing in between them. I can show you pictures of both at similar age if you want?

Yine, congrats on the hatchlings. Not knowing the parent stock will make it impossible to guess gender as only whites can be told by down color. Vent sexing and DNA (when feathers grow in) are your best options.

Last edited:
Feathering generally doesn't change a smooth is a smooth. Smoothes will have that neat tightly woven feathering (like any other waterfowl) where curly get the (corn row look on their chest) and the back feathers stick up with down showing in between them. I can show you pictures of both at similar age if you want?
Yes please.... thanks :)

Can do. :) when we bring the, back to the brooder house tonight I will snap a few pictures. I will go through the ones I just took too. I don't think any show their feathering as far as curly and smooth.

I went from zero to seven Sebastopol geese in a matter of 4 days! I'm totally loving it! The first two pics show the 3 that Kimberly was able to ship last Tuesday. They are now a week old and so much fun! I found the others on Craigslist. I took 2 really big road trips to pick up the others last week. Monday I went N and picked up the 2 youngsters plus the 3 year old female that has lost her mate. On Wednesday I took a big road trip south into CA to pick up a 3 month old white female (their last gosling available). I'm hoping some of the babies are boys. The only gosling not shown is the 3 month old. She's really pretty, feathering in nicely. I tried several times to hatch my own from shipped eggs but I'm afraid my humidity was too high and some of the eggs maybe not fertile. I had 2 make it to pipping but that's it.

Kim, thanks so much for sending these magical babies. We play outside during the day and they have a big plastic brooder in the house. The biggest baby is chewing on my shorts in the first pic. They love romaine. They haven't been as eager for cantaloupe. The majority of their diet is greens (lettuce or grass).

Back
Top Bottom