Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

I've actually been looking at the Lavender Sebastopols, but I don't know if it's a color that is accepted in show quality birds.

Personally, show quality birds would be ideal (we don't have poultry shows down here but I appreciate the quality and generations of proper breeding). However, Mom wouldn't mind pet quality birds. She just loves the way they look.

Yeah, I don't know if Lavender is show-acceptable or not. I completely understand what you mean about show-quality birds. Mine are pet-quality (I think.), but if I ever got serious about breeding them, I think I would at least add some better blood into my flock and breed up. My birds came from Murray McMurray Hatchery, straight run, and I providentially got a pair! But you could check into Metzer Farms if you end up going for some pet-quality, curly white ones. You can order a sexed pair of goslings from them (though that's no guarantee of course).
I'm sure there are lots of people on here far more experienced than me, who can point you in the right direction for top-quality birds! There are probably even a few who are selling some. Enjoy!

I just bought a trio of hatching eggs but finding goslings would be ideal. I wouldn't want to order them from a hatchery, though, just because I'd like to have goslings from someone's flock so I can find out about temperament and how well they lay and if their birds are broody. I find that kind of thing very telling of how the offspring will be. I've bought lots of lovely birds from hatcheries, but I'm also having to be careful about breeding those birds so as to keep only the birds with above average qualities.

That being said, I'm a sucker for babies, so no matter the quality, I'll probably end up loving the babies no matter what. I have to read up on goose egg incubation. I'm incubating about 12 goose eggs right now, but they aren't quite as expensive (or as desired) as the ones I just ordered. I don't think I've ever spent so much money on eggs. Oh goodness, I'm nervous!

ibejaran, have you found this? https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed
I haven't actually incubated any goose eggs, but I thought this post was amazing!! I hope your eggs hatch! Have fun! Yeah, I'm a sucker for babies too.
big_smile.png

ibejaran, have you found this? https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed
I haven't actually incubated any goose eggs, but I thought this post was amazing!! I hope your eggs hatch! Have fun! Yeah, I'm a sucker for babies too. :D

I'm using a Little Giant incubator (because I could afford it), so most of the guide seems like it doesn't pertain as much to me. It has taught me a little about watching the air cell, though.

Despite the complaints about the LG, I've had pretty good success. I hatched out four Muscovy ducklings this weekend (the other 3 eggs were older and rotted, probably due to the rainfall we had before I picked them up) and seven Swedish/Indian Runner ducklings.

I'm hoping the goose eggs I have now are doing well enough. I have to avoid adding water now because a storm is coming in for the weekend.

Just hoping these eggs come in safely first, though. I desperately want them to just make it so we can have a chance.

Was looking at our eggs last night and getting so excited 11 are developing, although I don't look for all 11 to hatch. I apparrantly have several stages of eggs from our egg rescue,
so we're just going to have suprizes for about a week and a half I think.We did have a power outage which is gonna mess up lockdown but I'll just leave them where they are. ( Chickens should be hatched by tomorrow and was supposed to be cleaned out and ready for next. But we had a power outage Thursday night for about 6 hours I think) we covered the incubators and they didn't loose much heat but they did drop a tiny bit so I am compensating we'll be behind a few hours to a day)

Hello
smile.png

I am new to sebbies and would like to know if anyone has hatchlings to sell, especially human imprinted ones. I especially love the holderread line. Saw them at Daves front yard a few years ago and am kicking myself for not buying a few then.
barnie.gif
I have tried to hatch them twice and both times failed.
I am hoping to add them to my little duck flock and am wondering if I should raise all the babies together so they become friends.
I incubate my new runners and all of them are imprinted on humans.
jumpy.gif

Please PM me if you have some or a lead.
Thank you.
Blue Ducklings

Back
Top Bottom