Sebright laying lots of eggs and egg bound issue

Pics
@Kglassmo
@Wyorp Rock
Stormy is doing so much better!
she is back to her usual self now, shouting for treats whenever I open the door, flying over the fence and following me around, chasing pullets... (She's also been laying less, but not a single soft shelled egg!)
It makes me so happy to see her doing this well! I cannot thank you enough!
Also a question...
Should I keep giving her her supplements daily ⬇️
These are her daily supplements I thought I'd share...
Calcium Citrate and D3 powder mixed with oats.
B12 powder, Black Oil Sunflower Seeds and Ginger (I recently started adding ginger because I've researched that hens can get ovarian tumors during this time, and that ginger is a great natural preventative) mixed with oats.
Both of these oatmeal mixtures are fed separately.
or start weaning her off of them?

Glad to hear she's doing much better!

Since she's been laying hard shelled eggs, I would stop the Calcium Citrate + D3, see how things go. If she starts to have soft shells again, then give the extra Calcium + D3 for 3-5 days.

I don't know what other supplements you have been giving, most should not be given long term, so if it's been a week or two, then I'd start tapering off.

Glad to hear she's doing much better!

Since she's been laying hard shelled eggs, I would stop the Calcium Citrate + D3, see how things go. If she starts to have soft shells again, then give the extra Calcium + D3 for 3-5 days.
Got it. I'll start by only giving her half of the usual dosage for a day or two so she can slowly transition.
I don't know what other supplements you have been giving, most should not be given long term, so if it's been a week or two, then I'd start tapering off.
The only other sups she's on are B12 and E (which is in black oil sunflower seeds) and I don't know if you'd count ginger root powder as a supplement! I've been giving her only half the normal dosage of this as well, excluding the ginger.

*Update*
Stormy is still doing well, but I've noticed something odd.
Her balance is now off again (I'm giving her B12 and E daily again now.) and I've noticed that whenever I pick her up and set her down, she doesn't change whatever position her feet were in before. She perches on my arm/hand with her toes all crumpled too. She can still walk fine, and her feet are where they're supposed to be when she perches for the night, too.
It's almost as if she's lost feeling in her feet or something. Could she have something like an ovarian tumor or inflamation that's pressing on a nerve?

*Update*
Stormy is still doing well, but I've noticed something odd.
Her balance is now off again (I'm giving her B12 and E daily again now.) and I've noticed that whenever I pick her up and set her down, she doesn't change whatever position her feet were in before. She perches on my arm/hand with her toes all crumpled too. She can still walk fine, and her feet are where they're supposed to be when she perches for the night, too.
It's almost as if she's lost feeling in her feet or something. Could she have something like an ovarian tumor or inflamation that's pressing on a nerve?
Hard to know.

I'd give 400IU Vitamin E, along with 1/4 tablet B-Complex which contains B1(Thiamine), B2(Riboflavin), etc.

B12 is just B12 (Cobalamin), while it is helpful, it's not going to help with the uptake of E like B1 will.

Back
Top Bottom