Self promotion rules?

Feb 20, 2021
Salem, Oregon
I want to make a gallery thread of my poultry art and miniatures but don't want to break any rules I might be unaware of. Is it okay to:
🥚Post my art on a thread specifically for this purpose?
🥚Offer the art for sale or link to the e commerce sites they are on?
🥚Negotiate commissions for such items?

I want to note that I do not plan to:
❌ promo my art on other people's threads
❌Post a thread for each artwork (the one gallery thread would be where each image goes)
❌Steal other people's photos to use for art reference.

I want to respect the rules of the community. I know that this is basically where a lot of my target audience likes to come, but also that there are probably rules in place to prevent any behavior that would be deemed harmful to the forum. .

I'm pretty sure that's fine!

I've seen lots of threads on here with pictures of artwork and then a link to a site, such as Etsy.

Thank you! I have seen the same thing, but since I originally came here just to find info about button quail and incubating, I never really looked into the official rules. I've seen on some forums that they are really not open to users doing sales or self promotions, so I was hesitant to try I have had a YouTube art channel since 2011 and have been using Etsy, redbubble and Instagram for years.

Around 2020, I quit all social media because all I would see was the pandemic news, angry people who were once friends arguing about vaccines and conspiracy theories ect.

Now that things have started to equalize a little, I'm starting back up. since the last time I really did art, I joined BYC. The forums here have been my refuge from the crazy world, haha! I became deeply in love with the chickens and gardening side of life. Now it's really driving what I do when I'm making artwork.

It's going to be quite a bit of a rebranding. I'm hoping to find some like-minded friends, viewers and possible clients here.

Thank you! I have seen the same thing, but since I originally came here just to find info about button quail and incubating, I never really looked into the official rules. I've seen on some forums that they are really not open to users doing sales or self promotions, so I was hesitant to try I have had a YouTube art channel since 2011 and have been using Etsy, redbubble and Instagram for years.

Around 2020, I quit all social media because all I would see was the pandemic news, angry people who were once friends arguing about vaccines and conspiracy theories ect.

Now that things have started to equalize a little, I'm starting back up. since the last time I really did art, I joined BYC. The forums here have been my refuge from the crazy world, haha! I became deeply in love with the chickens and gardening side of life. Now it's really driving what I do when I'm making artwork.

It's going to be quite a bit of a rebranding. I'm hoping to find some like-minded friends, viewers and possible clients here.
I think normally stuff like that would end up in the buy/sell/trade area of the forum since you want to promote your work. but I'm not 100% sure. Worst case, post it and leave a note for admins asking them to please move it if necessary?

I think normally stuff like that would end up in the buy/sell/trade area of the forum since you want to promote your work. but I'm not 100% sure. Worst case, post it and leave a note for admins asking them to please move it if necessary?
That's a good plan. I'm taking some pictures of the artwork today so I can put the gallery together

Here are the rules: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ust-read-agree-to-participate-in-bst.1175029/

"8. All items or services for sale must actually be available for sale on BYC only. No advertising of listings of items offered on other websites are allowed."

"11.Presales/preorders are only allowed to be posted by Premium Feather Members."
Ah thanks so much for clearing that up! I won't do any linking away from the site then. Looks like I'll just have a gallery here to share artwork. I prefer to do my e commerce through a site set up for that.

Wow, I had no idea! I've just seen lot's of threads with links to personal sites.
It's one of the reasons I share art but not links here. I kinda feel like it's crossing a line (for me, mileage varies) since this is primarily a chicken site (even though it's WAY WAY more). But if people ask I will offer info.

It's one of the reasons I share art but not links here. I kinda feel like it's crossing a line (for me, mileage varies) since this is primarily a chicken site (even though it's WAY WAY more). But if people ask I will offer info.
Yeah-it's 'Backyard Chickens' but then you find (probably thousands) of non-chicken related threads. (Not that I mind, of course. I just find it very interesting that this is one of the most active forums I can find-and it's about chickens)

Back
Top Bottom