Self-sufficient households; help!

I spent 6 hours this past Saturday baking bread. All that time and only one loaf was worth eating. I tried 4 different recipes - and the wheat bread was the only one we were able to eat and only while it was still hot. Even the chickens laughed at my bread.
So this coming Saturday I will try again. I am pretty sure the problem was not kneading the dough enough. Like everything else practice makes perfect. If at first you don't succeed try again.
20 +/- years ago I baked all my bread and rolls. Now I can't make a decent bisquit.
I am gonna try some of these bread recipes.

Quote:
I posted earlier to go to the pool section and get ph+(also called: soda ash) it raises the ph in pool it is exactly the same thing as washing soda, if you don't believe me check the back of the bottle just make sure it is 100% Sodium Carbonate. I used it in mine laundry soap.

spent 6 hours this past Saturday baking bread. All that time and only one loaf was worth eating. I tried 4 different recipes - and the wheat bread was the only one we were able to eat and only while it was still hot. Even the chickens laughed at my bread.

here are a few hints, instead of kneading, let your bread flour soak for an hour or so, while you do different thing, use a wetter dough , colder water, long soak/sitting around/ bake in a hotter oven.
I bake twice a week,,,

the easiest rescipe is

1/12 cups cool water, not hot!
large pinch yeast,
stir in 2 cups flour,
let sit for several hours, or overnight.

add pinch slat, big tablespoon olive oil,

last cup of flour,,
mix, pull, and put on the board and make a long snake, roll up and push into a snake /log , do this several times, that develpos the gluten, after the soaking does it first.
this will be a wet, sticky dough! add maybe another half cup of flour, resist the temptation to add a lot of flour.

raise in a oil coated bowl,
shape and bake at 440 degrees for 20-25 minutes depending on loaf shape.
internal temp on the bread should be 200 degrees.

check out
the fresh loaf website.

if I have enpoough interst I will post pics, my bread turns out great everytime.

cheers​

jkm - if you have time I would love to see pics of your bread.
If I can't make it taste good at least I can look at pics and dream about good bread.
lol.png

I can't wait to try all these recipes.

Some one posted, HOW DO YOU GET A MAN TO DO LAUNDRY!!

Oh funny.......MEN remember,,,, when you start doing laundry put yer coloreds in with the miss's WHITES..........and dont forget to use bleach.

THAT RECIPE gaurentees you will never NEVER get asked to do laundry again......it has worked for me for over 25 yrs.......
wink.png

Not tooo much bleach

Jack

I'm not sure if anyone is interested on raising there own meat but i found this site: http://digital-library.unesco.org/shs/most/gsdl/cgi-bin/library?e=d-000-00---0demo--00-0-0--0prompt-10---4------0-0l--1-ru-50---20-help---00031-001-1-0gbk-10&a=d&cl=CL2.1&d=HASH0102361bccb095d60673448c.5.pr
It
talks about ALL types of animals and why they're good sources of food. It's written to help people in 3rd world countries that don't have all the commodities we have. I hope it helps. I agree don't try everything at once. Work with one thing and then move on.

ARM & HAMMER Super Washing Soda is 100% sodium carbonate and it is used as a laundry booster and general household cleaner. ARM & HAMMER Baking Soda is 100% sodium bicarbonate and has a myriad of household cleaning, personal care, and deodorizing uses, as well as being a leavening agent. IT is important to note that these two are two distinctly different products and cannot be substituted for one another.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks okiemommy! Now I know a little more about what I need to look for. I tried the body soap isle and the fels napthat wasn't there either. I'll keep looking.

Back
Top Bottom