Serama feed question

Bonescanner

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 24, 2018
Have a small flock of Serama’s. Have been feeding them 16% layer crumble. Found out today that I should have been feeding a higher protein. The breeder I got them from suggested using Nutrena 22%, days that’s what she feeds. My question is do I need to have any type of grit or oyster shell with this feed? The Dumor layer I was using had everything in it. These are all laying hens by the way

Have a small flock of Serama’s. Have been feeding them 16% layer crumble. Found out today that I should have been feeding a higher protein. The breeder I got them from suggested using Nutrena 22%, days that’s what she feeds. My question is do I need to have any type of grit or oyster shell with this feed? The Dumor layer I was using had everything in it. These are all laying hens by the way
Grit is not included in layer feed.
I have never seen a layer formulation that offers a level of protein higher than 16%. Not saying it doesn't exist. I've never found it locally and I won't have feed shipped to me.
I feed a homemade mix that uses fish meal for the protein source along with Purina Flock Raiser.
The Flock Raiser is 20% protein and I think that will meet your requirements. Yes, you must offer oyster shell on the side. A 50# bag of OS costs about $10 here and it would likely last you years with Seramas. I put out multiple containers to always have it "in their faces" and picking at it.
And regardless that my flock is on pasture, I have a container of granite grit for them if they need it. In the winter, it is tough to get grit naturally so it is advantageous to have it available. Again, it is very inexpensive and lasts a very long time.

Grit is not included in layer feed.
I have never seen a layer formulation that offers a level of protein higher than 16%. Not saying it doesn't exist. I've never found it locally and I won't have feed shipped to me.
I feed a homemade mix that uses fish meal for the protein source along with Purina Flock Raiser.
The Flock Raiser is 20% protein and I think that will meet your requirements. Yes, you must offer oyster shell on the side. A 50# bag of OS costs about $10 here and it would likely last you years with Seramas. I put out multiple containers to always have it "in their faces" and picking at it.
And regardless that my flock is on pasture, I have a container of granite grit for them if they need it. In the winter, it is tough to get grit naturally so it is advantageous to have it available. Again, it is very inexpensive and lasts a very long time.
Yes there is layer pellets with higher protein then 16%. I feed my chickens Barletts 20% layer feed. However I realize it probably is not avaiable in your area. Its produced in the next county south of me and its really good feed. Even a bit cheaper than Tractor Supply 16% feed.
At one time I had seramas and fed them Bartletts starter grower crumbles. Wasn't sure if those little kids could eat the bigger pellets or not.

Back
Top Bottom