Setting up a chicken run over septic lateral lines

Taidaishar

Hatching
Apr 21, 2024
So I’m starting to get into this whole homesteading thing and starting a flock. I’m working on getting my hand House ready and I bought a separate run in order to attach it to the hand house. The area I’ve been looking to put it on is essentially where the lateral lines are for my septic system. I’m trying to figure out how to set it up so that the flooring doesn’t mess with the septic collateral lines, but I’m not sure what material to use. At first I thought to use mulch, but I read online that using mulch is not a good idea over a septic system. Plus when I want to go ahead and compost that mulch, I don’t think it would be a good idea to add mulch to my compost pile. So what can I do to make sure I use an appropriate bedding in the run?

The run does not need any specific bedding. Grass, or even bare earth are fine.
Ask anything else you are not sure of. Post some pictures of your setup.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

What is the nature of the septic dispersal area?

Is it an absorption trench, a evaporative/transpiration trench or a sub surface dispersal area?
Transpiration areas don't react well to being compacted, mulched or trampled. Deeper Absorption may be ok.
Is it primary or secondary treated before dispersal?

It's fairly important because you may adversely affect the performance of the dispersal area. Resulting in foul smells, or worse; excessive ecoli/pathogen intrusion into your flock and consequently their eggs/meat.

I follow a rule for human grey water and septic water waste. Keep consumption at least 3 steps away from original contamination/application.

For example. Primary treatment of sewage is one step. Secondary is 2 steps. Using that Secondary water to grow grass/fruit&veg is a 3rd step. That grass/food is safe to feed chickens/eat. Grey water starts at step 2. Same deal. Primary treated water is step one. Using grass from a Primary treated water is step 2. So that grass can't be used as feed but can be used to mulch other plants that can be used as feed. Providing 3 steps.
Each step is a separate biological breakdown process. Just to create a safety margin for pathogen risk.

Whether the chicken metabolism qualifies as a step is up to you. I dont. I put my animals on the same level as myself. I dont consider their meat/milk/eggs production as a step. Technically it is I guess. It's not recommended to build a children's play area over a secondary treated ground..... ecoli risk..... but it's OK for tertiary treated ground. So using the chickens themselves as the third step on secondary treated ground may be ok. I wouldn't want to. On primary treatment ground I definitely wouldn't. No doubt many people do do it and don't have problems. But climate, size of area and quality of grass coverage etc would all play a significant factor. Thus the 3 step rule to eliminate guesses and cutting it close.

Tldr: more information/knowledge of the risks and type of septic system is required to give a safe recommendation.

I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom