Sex

CassyGurl

Chirping
Oct 11, 2020
Ok it’s killing me…do I have all ganders? I’m not getting eggs..I have seen 2 of the white Chinese try to mate..I know the 2 brown ones are ganders and my big white one with gray butt feathers is a gander..8 geese total. HELP lol

Attachments

• 8AE8454F-15AA-4613-8447-0491512BBBE6.jpeg
    8AE8454F-15AA-4613-8447-0491512BBBE6.jpeg
    522.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 10A2AE63-ED9F-4404-AA30-9C980A2866EC.jpeg
    10A2AE63-ED9F-4404-AA30-9C980A2866EC.jpeg
    424.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 7800FD01-C97C-46D0-A064-CB1D90DBB3E0.jpeg
    7800FD01-C97C-46D0-A064-CB1D90DBB3E0.jpeg
    575.4 KB · Views: 10
  • E0C1348C-F59C-477D-9B0B-672D5493696A.jpeg
    E0C1348C-F59C-477D-9B0B-672D5493696A.jpeg
    647.4 KB · Views: 12
The fat lumps under the goose don't determine gender. Females usually hold their heads down and have a higher-pitched honk, while ganders hold their heads high, stretch their necks, and have a more raspy honk. There is a slight weight/height difference, but it's not always reliable to go off of. Females won't start laying eggs until they're about a year old, and up. They lay large oval-shaped eggs that feel like sandpaper. Make sure they aren't hiding or eating any eggs. Both females and ganders can mount to either mate or assert dominance. ( females only mount to assert dominance. Ganders mount to mate or dominate. ) I have heard that female goose feathers are more pointed, and genders are more rounded. However, I do not know if that is true. Do you have a video of the geese honking/walking around? That would help. :)
Also, if you're unsure of the breeds of the two brown geese, they're both Pomeranian Saddleback.

Last edited:
My guesses. Educate me and let me know if they are right. :)

Center left, girl. Shorter, curved neck carriage and small knob.
Clockwise, gander -- the knob on his bill is a big give away. Also compare neck length and he is looking up.
Top center: An emden? Girl. Based on curved interaction with next goose.
Far right: gander. Based on interaction with above goose. Firting with the previous goose with the long neck in the last pic and her curved neck back.
Bottom right. Another Emden? I'll guess.. gander. Stockier.
Center front: Hard to tell from the rear, but the knob looks big and round, so gander.
Saddlebacks: No idea.

Edit: 0 eggs here too.

Ok it’s killing me…do I have all ganders? I’m not getting eggs..I have seen 2 of the white Chinese try to mate..I know the 2 brown ones are ganders and my big white one with gray butt feathers is a gander..8 geese total. HELP lol
The fat lumps under the goose don't determine gender. Females usually hold their heads down and have a higher-pitched honk, while ganders hold their heads high, stretch their necks, and have a more raspy honk. There is a slight weight/height difference, but it's not always reliable to go off of. Females won't start laying eggs until they're about a year old, and up. They lay large oval-shaped eggs that feel like sandpaper. Make sure they aren't hiding or eating any eggs. Both females and ganders can mount to either mate or assert dominance. ( females only mount to assert dominance. Ganders mount to mate or dominate. ) I have heard that female goose feathers are more pointed, and genders are more rounded. However, I do not know if that is true. Do you have a video of the geese honking/walking around? That would help. :)
Also, if you're unsure of the breeds of the two brown geese, they're both Pomeranian Saddleback.

I got a few videos but I’m having trouble figuring out how to load them…lol. I was told the 2 saddlebacks are 1.5 year old males…but my white one with the big knob was on top of one of the saddlebacks like trying to mate…do males do that like the female/female and female/male?? Sorry I’m new to geese 🤦🏻‍♀️

I raise Pomeranian Saddlebacks so lemme take a gander *insert rim shot here* at them at least. I know in your original post you said the "brown ones are both ganders" so I'm assuming you're talking about the Grey Saddleback Pomeranians you have though honestly I wouldn't be too certain they're male unless you specifically know for a fact from whoever you got them from (hatchery, breeder, etc.) that they're ganders.

For the lovely loud Knobbed ones the knob is your friend. I'd say my guess is that you have one male and the rest are girls.

My guess for the Emden is female.

The other big thing to keep in mind is how old are they? They look a bit young still to me. And if they're under 2 years old that might be why you're not getting eggs yet. (it's also the very beginning of breeding season as Geese in general start from late February and end around July).

I know my one female didn't start laying till her second adult spring. I got lucky with my youngsters that laid and hatched out babies their first adult spring. (I'm not counting the spring they were hatched).

Back
Top Bottom