Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

somebody laid a plum coloured egg yesterday!
P1120075.JPG

I know they breed Welsumers in Germany and in the Netherlands. Maybe @abpatchy can help you if you to buy fertilised eggs? She breeds them very successfully.

I have seen another map of Europe (incl France ) a few years ago.. I thought there were more breeds like naked necks in this map too. I try to find it for you.
[

@ManueB ,
I found a large list of french breeds in
https://thebigbookproject.org/knowledge-base/chicken-breeds/
And https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_chicken_breeds#France

Some of the names give info about the location.
Although there are no hatcheries here, there is a platform that centralizes fertilized eggs selling from different breeders, for all kinds of rare breeds. It's aimed mostly at breeders because of the shipping costs, but anyone can buy. I don't want to get shipped eggs for the reasons that have been discussed on this thread before, and because this time we're aiming at adult birds.

I looked through the list on the sites you kindly sought out, but it confirmed that there are no breeds coming from the south east of France. If we want to think local we would have to go to Italy in Piemonte. It's half the time for us to get there when the mountain roads are open, so it will depend on the timing.
I was going to ask what this meant but I googled it first and got it 🤣.
this is the history of the practice, from a reliable source
https://www.rmets.org/metmatters/changing-clocks
What it doesn't say is that the european process has been put on delay due to Covid. I'm rather glad because the french had voted to keep summertime all year which seems an aberration to me. I don't find it easy to switch to daylight saving though. I'm a morning type so I wake up at 4.30 and I struggle to stay awake until ten 🤣.

Although there are no hatcheries here, there is a platform that centralizes fertilized eggs selling from different breeders, for all kinds of rare breeds. It's aimed mostly at breeders because of the shipping costs, but anyone can buy. I don't want to get shipped eggs for the reasons that have been discussed on this thread before, and because this time we're aiming at adult birds.

I looked through the list on the sites you kindly sought out, but it confirmed that there are no breeds coming from the south east of France. If we want to think local we would have to go to Italy in Piemonte. It's half the time for us to get there when the mountain roads are open, so it will depend on the timing.

What it doesn't say is that the european process has been put on delay due to Covid. I'm rather glad because the french had voted to keep summertime all year which seems an aberration to me. I don't find it easy to switch to daylight saving though. I'm a morning type so I wake up at 4.30 and I struggle to stay awake until ten 🤣.
I think I found why there are no heritage breeds in SE France. There are a lot of extinct breeds in France. If you check this page, second tab, you find the names of about 20 extinct breeds. The Provençale (probably from the Provence) is one of these extinct breeds.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_French_chicken_breeds

Some people try to reintroduce a poule Grise de Vercors from the Drome/ Rhône alpes. A chicken I haven’t seen on any list. Nice article with a video in it.
https://france3-regions.francetvinf...te-foyers-saint-jean-royans-drome-288979.html
AB6798C3-AB44-46E6-A559-F94FB6B47B64.jpeg

D99934F0-7727-4D67-BB6F-FB4D109ED186.jpeg

Last edited:
I think I found why there are no heritage breeds in SE France. There are a lot of extinct breeds in France. If you check this page, second tab, you find the names of about 20 extinct breeds. The Provençale (probably from the Provence) is one of these extinct breeds.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_French_chicken_breeds

Some people try to reintroduce a poule Grise de Vercors from the Drome/ Rhône alpes. A chicken I haven’t seen on any list. Nice article with a video in it.
https://france3-regions.francetvinf...te-foyers-saint-jean-royans-drome-288979.html
View attachment 3308491
View attachment 3308489
I think these lists only mentions breeds that have been formalized into a standard at some points, but not all the very local chickens that never made it to the poultry shows. The Vercors chicken would certainly be very well suited to our place ! I will ask our 96 year old neighbour what kind of chickens they had in farms around here when he was young, and where they came from.

Why are you thinking about breeds?
A while back you posted pictures of a walk where you passed a number of farms/places that had free range chickens. Go and see the people who own these chickens and get some pullets and cockerels from them.

The chicken under the tree to the left looks like she has a support on her left side.

Does she have a problem?
She has a chicken saddle on her to help her grow feathers back.

She started to lose feather on her back due to our rooster in April of this year. We rehomed our rooster (due to complaints) in April too but she kept losing her feather. We did not want to put a saddle on her though.

Fast forward to maybe Aug-Sep, we decided that we will put a saddle on her since otherwise she pecks away all the feather growth. We could see lots of growth already the next day. A few weeks later, we thought it was good enough and took off her saddle. The feathers on her back were ALL GONE the next day.

So we put it back on and she still has it now.

My husband has recently read online that the feathers WILL come back, with or without a saddle, when she started to molt. But she hasn't started molting yet...

Any thoughts on this issue above from all the wonderful experts here?

We have two 5 months old that we don't expect them to molt this year, among the other 6 chickens, 2 finished molting, 1 is ongoing. The 3 that haven't started are basically the "ex-batts" breeds. Their feathers are so shredded that I really want them to molt.

lightdeck0917.jpg

She started to lose feather on her back due to our rooster in April of this year. We rehomed our rooster (due to complaints) in April too but she kept losing her feather. We did not want to put a saddle on her though.

Fast forward to maybe Aug-Sep, we decided that we will put a saddle on her since otherwise she pecks away all the feather growth. We could see lots of growth already the next day. A few weeks later, we thought it was good enough and took off her saddle. The feathers on her back were ALL GONE the next day.

My husband has recently read online that the feathers WILL come back, with or without a saddle, when she started to molt. But she hasn't started molting yet...

We have two 5 months old that we don't expect them to molt this year, among the other 6 chickens, 2 finished molting, 1 is ongoing. The 3 that haven't started are basically the "ex-batts" breeds. Their feathers are so shredded that I really want them to molt.

View attachment 3308704
She looks tactical.

View attachment 3308704

Thank you for the explanation.

Sorry she is having so much trouble with her feathers.

Back
Top Bottom