Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

This sounds just like Venka, and it happened very frequently throughout her first year. On the rare occasions that Hafod 'lays an egg', this is usually what she lays, and has been the case her whole first year of laying (she'll be 2 in August). They are not related.

fwiw, this doesn't sound like Venka. It has been true of Hafod on and off.

Possibly, but I think it's a symptom of a disease or infection they've got, and that they can recover from it if given the chance (and are not culled). Venka is now 7, since that first year has been and still is laying well, and none of her offspring have had the same issue.

That apart, I don't think limited foraging is the cause for 2 reasons. 1. While it offers opportunities to supplement the diet with whatever the bird fancies it needs at that moment, and it may be crucial for birds whose mainstay is commercial feed, I think you've put a lot of thought - and calculation - into your feed to make sure that it includes everything she needs nutrient-wise. And Carbon's eating the same feed without issue yes? And Fret was too when she was laying yes? And her chicks have no sign of deficiency in the egg or in the chick yes? If yes to all those, then it's something to do with Mow, not with the food they all share.
2. Everything I've read about foraging by birds who have an alternative (supplied) source of food says that a major motivation is not the nutrients but the search. They like looking for stuff, some of which may be edible, but finding it is half the fun, it's like a treasure hunt, even a game. It's good for their mental as well as their physical health to go looking for stuff in and on the ground. By contrast, birds that are unwell don't forage (or only pretend to, to hide their illness), despite the fact that they might need unusual nutrients (to self-medicate) or the same nutrients more than usual.

I hope so, but I guess my message here is, don't give up, or rush to treat too soon unless you are sure you know what the problem actually is.

Wow! There's a lot going on there!

You had a lot of competition! It's disappointing to get so little engagement though.
I got the impression that Mow was looking for something/s in particular when she went into the field. She's quite particular in what she eats. The difference in what and where Mow forages is noticable when compared to the others.
I believe that chickens and many other creatures self medicate. The are a lot of edible bugs and varieties of forage when you're a chicken.
I have to add in my anthropomorphizing delusion that they are all depressed at not getting access to the field; Mow in particular.

Course, we here on this thread who are obviuously barking mad and accept that chickens have feelings may not be surprised they're depressed. Guess what, it seems science reporting may be catching up with us,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cv223z15mpmo

All of the Plant Based fake foods (beyond, impossible etc) are just chemicals and worse for the environment, still kills animals and is not healthy. Just like the electric car nonsense. The batteries are toxic, cannot be recycled and just get dumped in landfills to poison the ground, not to mention the mining process for the cobalt needed for the batteries, that uses child slave labor and is toxic. It isn't about making a better planet, it is about control.

That is why we are working on producing everything that we consume, but at the moment we at least try to only buy meat raised and harvested humanely. We do not use any herbicides, pesticides or store bought fertilizers in our garden. So everything is safe for us and the chickens. :) People need to get back to gardening and producing, and get away from big corporate manufacturing when it comes to food and likely other things.
Lots of what you claim is not true.
True is that the meat replacements are often too salt. But many people eat way too much meat.
True is that batteries have a bad impact on the environment. But gasoline driven cars pollute much more. And electricity made with solar or wind , the battery cars are way better for the environment. This is thoroughly researched.
The new car batteries don’t use cobalt anymore.

Of course it’s very good to grow your own food and to use no herbicides/ pesticides. But please be careful to believe the oil lobby and meat (factory farming) lobby. Some changes are necessary to make the changes we need for mother earth.

This week the first climate evacuations due to permanent flooding were a fact (a Panama island). And many more will follow if we keep doing what we did in the last decades.

Last edited:
I got the impression that Mow was looking for something/s in particular when she went into the field. She's quite particular in what she eats. The difference in what and where Mow forages is noticable when compared to the others.
I believe that chickens and many other creatures self medicate. The are a lot of edible bugs and varieties of forage when you're a chicken.
I have to add in my anthropomorphizing delusion that they are all depressed at not getting access to the field; Mow in particular.

Course, we here on this thread who are obviuously barking mad and accept that chickens have feelings may not be surprised they're depressed. Guess what, it seems science reporting may be catching up with us,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cv223z15mpmo
Plant some St John’s Wort.
Clinically shown to be as effective as SSRIs (eg Prozac, Zoloft) for mild to moderate depression in people.
It would be very interesting to see if they self medicated on it. It is supposedly on the list of things chickens shouldn’t eat, so maybe not such a good idea!

1 pm to 8.30 pm today. Warmish in the sunshine. It got a bit chilly in the evening.
P6180926.JPG
P6180933.JPG
P6180935.JPG

I thought Fret was going to get up there with them for a moment.:eek: This is not something one wants. It becomes a habit and they'll try to roost there for the night. I've done my bit of getting chickens out of trees!:rant
P6180929.JPG
P6180930.JPG
P6180937.JPG
P6180938.JPG
P6180939.JPG

P6180934.JPG

They all came down of their own accord.
P6180941.JPG

Last edited:
I thought Fret was going to get up there with them for a moment.:eek: This is not something one wants. It becomes a habit and they'll try to roost there for the night. I've done my bit of getting chickens out of trees!:rant
Love these chicks, they just want to be adventurous children. 😍

It's been more disjointed than busy the last few days. The field had an open day that is promoted by something called the Get Growing Trail organized by The Bristol Food Network.

https://www.bristolfoodnetwork.org/news/get-growing-garden-trail/

There are a few of these seasonal profile organizations around Bristol. I reserve judgement on how effective they are. The problem for us is mid June is not the right time for open days given the weather which has gradually slipped a month to six weeks later in the year. Many farms and gardens haven't had stuff in the ground for very long. We had a grand total of 4 visitors.:hmm
The field looks pretty good in general; best for many years some say. The reputation hasn't improved in the same manner.

Mow has been sick. I stood behind her and watched her lay another shell less egg. The egg was perfect bar this missing shell. Membrane strong enough to protect the egg when Mow sort of dropped it; I assume that without the shell judging when an egg is on the way is more difficult.
Yolk and white were fine. No blood, no sign of anything abnormal.:confused:
She wasn't eating. She was sleeping in the nest box. Looked listless during the day.
I have got some calcium citrate into her. She didn't go for the paste of bread from my hand but when I dumped it in front of her on the nest it was gone when I next checked on her. Small improvement the next day but nothing to write home about.
I've mentioned that Mow is a very keen forager. I thought she may be lacking something she has got from the field outside the allotment run.
They haven't been out onto the field and plots for almost a month now. It's the growing season and they've munched a few plants. :oops:The allotment run as you may have noticed from recent pictures has lots of green weeds but little grass. It's also rather small for a forage enhanced diet.
I took them out onto the field for an hour. Basically this means following them around and herding them to non critical growing areas. They were mostly on my plot or around the back of the coop run and of course around the bush at the end of the flower beds.
I went foraging. I found a few stones and a couple of sheets of sodden cardboard lying around and when I turned them over there were wood lice, millipeeds, bettles and various other bugs. I scraped about twenty bugs into my hand and took them to Mow. She ate them all. I went back and got more. She ate those as well. Roughly about 30 wood lice and 10 bugs.
She's had a few little bits of cheese as a protein and calcium rich probiotic and some more calcium citrate. today.
She is a different hen today. She ate a reasonable amount of the feed mix. I saw her eat a couple of pieces of the oystershell I leave out and she was in the allotment run foraging while I was there.

Is she fixed? I have no idea. Hard to tell until she lays another egg which she didn't today. She is acting and looking much better though.

The rescue chick has decided it's going to be my friend. Those couple of days away from mum and siblings have knocked it's imprinting off balance. It behaves differently towards me than the other three.

Getting home at 11pm on the dry days is wearing me out.:D Rain in the evenings means they all go to bed early; it's almost worth getting wet for. It all starts going the other way from June 22nd.

The last couple of days.View attachment 3865427View attachment 3865428View attachment 3865429View attachment 3865430View attachment 3865431View attachment 3865432View attachment 3865433View attachment 3865434View attachment 3865435View attachment 3865436View attachment 3865437View attachment 3865438View attachment 3865439View attachment 3865440
The two pictures of the grass and weed patch are hiding Henry who is in there somewhere.
I am happy to hear Mow is feeling better.

True is that the meat replacements are often too salt. But many people eat way too much meat.
I've had a meat reduction focus for many years and have found the latest plant-based meats available in the supermarket to be utterly delicious and filling. Of course, I'm writing this in Australia so I have no clue whether similar products are available elsewhere.

Taxes for talking about things that aren't about chickens.

IMG_2024-06-11-15-14-09-931.jpg

Back
Top Bottom