Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I wouldn't suggest having a meal plant-based meat, you still need greens, veg, roughage etc.

Given the equivalent tastiness of these products in Australia, I'd sooner eat highly processed plant-based foods than highly processed animal-based foods.
We do not eat either. We get our beef from US Ranches, with no additives or anything un-natural, any veg that we eat is grown in my own garden, we never eat out, no restaurants or fast food, nothing from a tin or frozen and, of course, the contribution from my little feathered babies. We are homebodies so it suits us to produce our own food. The only processed food products we use is the occasional packs of cream cheese when the Egg Thief needs a cheese cake and he uses sugar in his tea. I do not use any sweetener, natural or otherwise.

We are actually looking into growing our own wheat corn, sunflowers, oats and barley so we can produce at least some of what the chickens eat, taking advantage of our longer growing season, companion planting and crop rotation. Fingers crossed, we may be able to grow 50% of their annual food consumption.

We need to setup a rain collection system too, to keep the water useage (and water bill) down.

I can't remember what the bush is called but it's some kind of fruit bush that doesn't fruit.:confused: It's got multiple stems which the chicks can squeeze between.
I have (had) a berries bush with only a few dark berries that resembles it. It had lots of pink blossoms early spring. The name is Ribes sanguineum.
I cut it down because it competed with the red berry bush next to it . This Ribes rubrum has much more and tastier berries (if you add sugar).

tn_SAM_1034.jpg
In the Netherlands the veggie and vegan alternatives are a great succes, since the price of the veggie easy to bake meat replacements is competitive/cheaper than meat and the meat production (factory farming) had lots of negative publicity.

We can choose from about 40-50 different kind of veggie burgers/ mini ‘meat’ balls/ chicken taste pieces / sausages /minced meatlike blocks in all supermarkets.

Recently our consumers organisation tested about 25 of them.
Some are good and have enough nutrients and proteins to be called alternatives for meat, but not all. There are really unhealthy flavoured (smoke flavour) and salty choices too.

We prefer not to eat abused animals, eat much veggies in general and eat these alternatives about 2 times a week. More often we add beans 🫘 kernels, seeds, nuts 🥜 🌰 ocean fish 🐟 or cheese 🧀 to our meal.

Today in our news (from NRC behind a paywall). google translated 1 ½ paragraph;
Together with two other teams, Eyes on Animals is on their way from France to the Netherlands. It's Wednesday, March 27, and each team is keeping an eye on a truck loaded with young calves. The calves have been travelling from Ireland for two days. Their journey will end in a stable of a calf farm. On the day they will be taken to slaughter, around the turn of the year, they have never seen the sun. The wind never felt. They won't know what running is.

Eyes on Animals is a foundation that strives to reduce the suffering of livestock wherever possible. She does this by providing information to transporters, employees of slaughterhouses, chicken catchers and the highway police. And further she perceives, like today. Lesley Moffat founded Eyes on Animals in 2009 and started the foundation with volunteers.

The team says the calves are screaming the whole time.

Today in our news (from NRC behind a paywall). google translated 1 ½ paragraph;
Together with two other teams, Eyes on Animals is on their way from France to the Netherlands. It's Wednesday, March 27, and each team is keeping an eye on a truck loaded with young calves. The calves have been travelling from Ireland for two days. Their journey will end in a stable of a calf farm. On the day they will be taken to slaughter, around the turn of the year, they have never seen the sun. The wind never felt. They won't know what running is.

Eyes on Animals is a foundation that strives to reduce the suffering of livestock wherever possible. She does this by providing information to transporters, employees of slaughterhouses, chicken catchers and the highway police. And further she perceives, like today. Lesley Moffat founded Eyes on Animals in 2009 and started the foundation with volunteers.

The team says the calves are screaming the whole time.
If people would quit buying veal.... especially what usually is called milk veal. Which is usually raised like this describes.
If there was no market they wouldn't raise them like that.
Flip side is people want milk and cheese, which requires a cow to have calves. Nowadays there's separate breeds for milk and meat. Just like chickens, the boys from milk or egg breeds are not the best for meat.

Back
Top Bottom