Should I abort a 1 chicken hatch?

Wouldn't you want to continue testing the incubator through the entire hatch? What if it gets to a later date then quits? If it does hatch, then you could go buy some chicks at a farm store, maybe
The nearest place to buy chicks is 4 hours away, in this town I'm the person you go to to get live chicks lol. That said I am heading up that way for an operation a couple of days before they hatch so yeah I'll see if I can find a couple of young chicks on the way back, sounds like a plan.

It would've been even quicker to read my original post. I know the egg can be removed at this point without suffering. The question is how cruel is it to hatch and raise the chicken in a brooder by itself.
I'm very tempted to just discard the egg as at 8 days it's mainly just a heart and veins, not even a nervous system or brain to register it's freezing to death so now would be the time to end things. On the other hand forgoing an entire life to avoid 1 week of distress is probably not a deal the bird would ask for if I could ask its' opinion, is it even my place to make such a decision on its behalf?
I apologize if I misunderstood the reason for your post, this was the question I was responding too.

I agree with other posters that if you see it through to hatch, it would be best to get it some buddies as opposed to having it alone for a week.

Back
Top Bottom