Should I clean off dirty eggs before I start incubating?

Quote:
Agree and it can contaminate the whole incubator. I wash every egg before it goes in the incubator.

I read an article yesterday on the subject myself because I was wondering the same thing. I've had several eggs get the blood ring after 7 days of incubation and it is frustrating since the eggs I set are my own and are clean to the naked eye. That egg That is too dirty may be my best chick so Why throw it away? I'm going to try disinfecting a batch along with a batch that I don't and see what the outcome is. The article also sated to wash in warm water but do not scrub but also had several options for disinfectants such as the one from Brinsea. They also said to wash your hands with antibacterial soap before handling eggs anytime or wear sterile gloves. All these factors could lead to bacterial transfer. I don't know what is right or wrong since like said before the chickens dont wash their eggs but I want to hatch as many as possible and anything that helps is worth a try.

OK.. here is how it is at my house.. I have ben doing this hatching thing for over 40 years.. I have 4 2000 egg incubators and 3 200 egg GQF sportsmans.. we are ot about to sit and scrape every egg we hatch.. they are washed under running water dried and put into the incubators..

you people who have hatched 3 or 4 batches probably do know more about this than I do, but this is what works for me..

I didn't wash mine, and I did put slightly dirty ones in, not gross dirty, just smudge marks. I am interested to see the outcome. This is my first time incubating, so everything is a bit of an experiment of sorts.

clean eggs and not so clean eggs
no candling
fluctuating temps and humidity levels,
we shall see in less then a week.
of course alot depends on how well my roosters have done as well !!!

Hello all,

I have been raising and hatching for several years with excellent hatch rates and no bacteria in my Sportman incubators, here's my process:

1. Clean nests are key.
2. I collect up to 5 times a day in hot or cold weather.
3. All eggs are sanitized, regardless of how clean they are from the nest.
4. I use Tek-Trol, 1/2 ounce per gallon of water.
5. I use my pre-sanitized and pre-warmed kitchen sink.
6. I use an instant read thermometer to monitor the water temp (100 - 103 degrees, depending on the qty of eggs.
7. Soak for 3 - 5 minutes, remove eggs and blow dry.
8. Allow to come room temp in incubation room and then incubate.

My hatch rates increased close to 100% using this process and I do not have to disinfect the incubators for the entire season.

Happy hatching!!!!!

Well Everybody, here's what I did.......The eggs were pretty dirty, not clumps but poop smudges all over. I just couldn't bare to put them in the incubator like that. So one egg at a time, I dipped them in a bowl of warm water that had a few drops of dish soap, rubbed them gently with a bounty paper towel, which is very soft and took the dirt right off, then I gave them a quick dip in a big bowl of rinse water that had a little bit of bleach in it (prob less than a tbsp), and then I placed them on a fresh towel. Dried them quickly with another clean bounty paper towel. I let them sit out in the air for a few hours, then I set them in the incubator.

The thing is, my good friend was kind enough to lend me her Rcom, and it's really the most awesome incubator I've ever seen.....I just couldn't get myself to place the dirty eggs in there because it's soooo new and clean. She has only used it once and had great hatch results. This incubator is all digital, temp is set at 99.5, humidity at 40, and it also turns them.....It does everything.......So let's see what the results are......

Everybody keep in touch and I will let you know how the hatching goes! And also thank you EVERYBODY for your input.......I do feel happy about my decision........But we will all share our results....It's a learning experience......I do feel that if these eggs weren't so dirty, I would not have washed them.....

Thanks again and I'll keep ya posted.....those experimenting with washed vs non-washed, please keep me posted too!

Sharon

I bought some egg sanitizer over the weekend and washed the eggs I was going to set. Its an all natural product but cant remember the name, Ill look when I get home. I put the eggs in the bator yesterday and Ill check in 7 days for any results. Ive always had eggs get the blood ring so maybe this will help with the bacteria, only time will tell.

Well I went ahead and candled today and everything that I set, except for some cochin eggs that I'm having fertility issues with ,is growing. The product I used is from Manna pro and just a soft brush. Im going to keep an eye on them and watch the developement and if no blood rings form then I'll be washing them from now on regardless of dirty or not.

Back
Top Bottom