Should I evict my rooster?

Why cull him when you can get money off of him if you sell? Or just keep him and get chicken capes.

I was at a farm auction last night 1 year old roosters were selling anywhere from $4-$10 for common large fowl breeds some bantam and special breeds went as high as $15. Fuel is around $3.50 a gallon. So by the time you pay fuel and auction fees there is no profit in selling one rooster. I know you could possibly sell it on Craigslist of some other site and save the fees but in reality it could take several weeks to sell. It’s sometimes just easier to put it in the crockpot yourself. I know a lot of people don’t want to do it themselves especially the first time but it’s not nearly as difficult as it sounds

You can get a chicken cape for your hens, it goes over the hens backs to protect them from the roosters "attentions..." I would not get rid of him, maybe find a new home if you do not want to try again with capes... Does the free range rooster own to someone? Does he mate with your hens?
I've never heard of a chicken cape! That's an interesting idea. The free-range rooster doesn't belong to anyone and it doesn't mate with my hens. Also, I'm not looking for baby chicks ever. I wanted the fresh eggs and I'm very happy with the amount of eggs. I will be adding a young hen to the group in a couple of weeks and really dislike the idea that this rooster will be all over her in maybe a second!

You need at least 2 or 3 more hens. If he’s a Rhode Island Red, you need 12 more. ( from experience, as RIR are known to be aggressive breeders.)
I don't know what breed he is. He's big and white/gray and not very attractive at least to me! I've got a plymouth rock chicken. She is the largest hen. I've got a caramel-colored Silkie (with the slipper feet), she is his favorite and Ive got a little polish hen who gets away from him more often. I'll try to find a photo of him to post

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom