Should I feed my hens scratch or layer feed?

All birds need insoluble grit which lodges in their gizzard to assist in grinding food so that the nutrients can be absorbed in the small intestine.

If your birds forage on ground that has a wide range of sizes of sharp stones, they'll pick up what they need.
If not, you need to provide it. Cage birds, like parakeets need to be provided with appropriately sized grit.

Oyster shell is soluble, meaning it dissolves by the time it gets to the gizzard so serves no purpose for digestion, only adding calcium for birds actively making egg shells.

The size of the bird determines the size of the grit. Too small and it won't lodge in the gizzard and pass right through.

All feed stores should carry grit. Some don't carry all sizes. For poultry there are 4 sizes. #4 is for turkeys. 1-3 is for various aged chickens.
http://www.tccmaterials.com/pdf/CSgritdata.pdf

Last edited:
ooooh. Thank you. They do get to forage, but much less in the ice and snow. I wonder if I should be giving them grit in the winter when they are out much less?

I keep my oyster shell and grit in these containers inside: gray electrical caps screwed to the wall.

And these for in the run to keep rain and snow off of the oyster shells.

I've seen my chickens use them here and there.

Great thread.

We feed our chickens grower feed and add oyster shell on the side because we have roosters who would not benefit from extra calcium, as well as pullets who do not yet lay. I've seen the girls who do lay go for the oyster shell, but that's about it. The roos and pullets leave it alone. They also free-range for a portion of each day.

I tend to throw a handful of scratch out in the leaves in the winter to encourage scratching and digging, but that's about it ( we have tons of deep leaves and areas that chickens love to dig around in).

I don't consider scratch to be a feed, more of a fun diversion for the chickens. They do love it, but the 2 year old rooster we rescued last year had been fed scratch only and he was suffering from malnutrition, poultry lice and just general lack of health. He also had a thick white scaly growth on his legs that has since fallen away after about 5 months, he now has a more normal skin on his legs. After about 7-8 months of grower feed, treatment for lice, a few treats here and there, like sunflower seeds and things like that, he has made a 100% recovery and has been integrated into a new flock that he fits in with very well.

Nutrition is very important for the health of chickens, just like any other animal. They can "make due" with scratch grains or sub-par feed, but they will not thrive and give you their best on it.

Chris, you are correct they have changed the formula, and no longer include animal protein, however, it's still a great protein supplement, and I have personally witnessed the difference it makes, as have many others. While I've read a lot of debates on protein/calcium balance, and some say there is no such thing, while the majority says there is, here is something to think about. When feeds are formulated, they hire nutritionists that have done extensive research, and are experts in their field. They balance fiber, protein, calcium, A,D,B vitamins to name a few. They would not incur the additional expense of hiring the services of nutritional experts, if balancing the nutritional needs in their formula for feed were not needed. In addition, a balanced diet at different stages of the life cycle often requires different formulas. While those that claim there is no such thing as protein/calcium balance, switching from grower feed, to layer feed, the formulation decreases protein, and increases calcium. I don't claim to be an expert, but the experts that the major feed mills hire, address the protein/calcium balance when formulating layer feed. Regardless of your line of thought in regards to this, the advice I offered is sound, and a good guideline for feeding. Everyone is free to choose whatever they want, for whatever reasons they want, when it comes to feeding. Feel free to offer your own feeding guidelines as well.
Quote: I have used Calf-Manna in the past, when it still had animal proteins in it.
It was a good supplement, I used it on my dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits etc. but since they removed the whey proteins I have noted a difference in the animal and have switched to Purina's show supplements which are more rounded for all forms of livestock, higher protein, and depending on the supplement contains animal proteins and fats.

As far as the protein/ calcium balance maybe Lazy J Farms will chime in on this one, he is a animal nutritionist for Hubbard Feed but I will let you know that I am well aware of how a feed is made and what it takes to make that feed. I know all about the nutritionist that the mills employ, have a few as good friends.

Quote: So that you know I clam there is now such thing as a protein/calcium balance and I feed one type of feed to most of my birds, I do not switch from a starter to a grower to a layer. The only birds that do not get a starter are the breeders and they get a breeder feed wile they are in the breeding pens.
As for the a layer decreasing in protein and increasing in calcium, well it depends on the feed mfg.
I have see layer feeds from 16% protein up to 20% proteins and max calcium levels from 2.50 to 3.50.

My guide lines for feed the average backyard flock is this,
Feed a good non-medicated starter that is 20 /22 percent protein from hatch to death. When the birds start to lay then you add a calcium supplement in a feed cup on the side. If you feel the need to feed treats feed no more than 15% of there diet and don't start treats until they are at least half grown.
Now I will say that feeding show birds and gamefowl is a whole different art and to a point there needs are a little more different.

Funny thing you should mention feeding the starter/grower/flock raiser feed. I did too. With some brands of feed, they are the same, or pretty much the same. The brand I get, the starter IS the grower, and/or flock raiser, so no change needed, which usually provides the protein percentages you mentioned. For those that go with a layer feed, the calf-manna when fed the way I suggested boosts the protein within the 20/22 percent range you are recommending, and is a good choice for satisfying the need to treat the birds. Adding the cup of calcium for free choice, after they begin laying, addresses the protein/calcium balance, even if it doesn't exist. We are pretty much using different words to express very similar things here.

Funny thing you should mention feeding the starter/grower/flock raiser feed. I did too. With some brands of feed, they are the same, or pretty much the same. The brand I get, the starter IS the grower, and/or flock raiser, so no change needed, which usually provides the protein percentages you mentioned. For those that go with a layer feed, the calf-manna when fed the way I suggested boosts the protein within the 20/22 percent range you are recommending, and is a good choice for satisfying the need to treat the birds. Adding the cup of calcium for free choice, after they begin laying, addresses the protein/calcium balance, even if it doesn't exist. We are pretty much using different words to express very similar things here.
The problem is this, if one is feeding a 16% layer feed they would have to mix there layer feed 50:50 with Calf-manna way over feeding the Calf-manna and very expensive. In fact even if the person is feeding a 18% protein feed there not going to safely raise there feed to 20% using Calf-manna.

Example --

Layer feed (18% protein) 90% of ration
Calf Manna (25% protein) 10% of ration which is max amount recommended by Manna Pro do to high amounts of some ingredients example copper.

Layer feed 18 ÷ 100 lbs = .18% protein x 90 lbs = 16.2% Protein
Calf Manna 25 ÷ 100 lbs = .25% protein x 10 lbs = 2.5% Protein

16.2 + 2.5 = 18.7 Protein

So by mixing 90% layer feed to 10% Calf-manna you get a feed that is 18.7% protein +/-

One would be far better off and save money to just feed a good show feed or game bird feed that is 20 to 22 percent protein.
Now if they couldn't find a 20 to 22 percent protein feed or wanted to mix something in to boost protein and add animal proteins of there regular feed they could supplement with say Champion Drive which is a show supplement that Purina Mills puts out that is 32% protein and contains Animal Proteins, Dried Egg Products and Animal Fats.

Back
Top Bottom