Should I get a goose?

Have your geese fought off hawks?
No, the geese have fought off no predators. Geese are prey animals. They run rather than fight. They do make a racket when they see something out of the ordinary. Of course the out of the ordinary could be something as innocent as someone walking down the road or the neighbor getting out of his car. There will be a lot of false warnings.

Abso-stinkin-lutely you should get a goose!!! Well, a pair to be more specific. I got 1 goslings last summer and raised them with my chickens. Surprisingly they bonded with the chickens instead of each other. My gander was AMAZING at alerting for any kind of predator, he even fought off a hawk. Sadly he passed away last week from a suspected dog attack.😔 My other goose has assumed his responsibilities with ease.

I highly recommend guard geese! We have had a great experience with them and the only "extra" things we do is have a bucket of water for them to dunk their heads in and we feed all flock/flock raiser so they get niacin in the winter when there is no grass.

They are great foragers as well, they free rang in the wood with our chickens. Just our experience, hope this helps!!

Jellybean & Cricket💕
View attachment 3013424
I only recommend dogs to guard a flock not geese.They protect them from other dogs and alert to hawks when trained properly. They'll chase one swooping down and jump in mid air as well. Its traumatizing for a goose to live alone. Sorry for your loss!

Back
Top Bottom