Should i give my ducks B complex, brewers yeast, or nutritional yeast for niacin?

May 6, 2022
When giving niacin to ducks I've heard that brewers yeast, nutritional yeast, and B complex are all good supplements, but which is the best? And should I give it to them in pill form with their treats, powder form with their feed, or liquid form through their water?

Last edited:
Should you give your ducks B complex in liquid form through their water, or give it to them in a pill like form with their treats?
Depends why you are giving it
If the duck is struggling with low niacin then I would use durvet liquid vitamin B
I do 1 ml either by syringe or over a small treat they will eat it all up
Adding to water dilutes it and no guarantee they will drink enough
If you are doing it as a preventative then adding some to the water in a smaller bowl ( I did this with my ducklings to make sure they got the extra
But I also add nutritional yeast 1tbs to 1 cup feed until about 10-12 weeks depending on breed of duck
Then I just add it to the feed a few times a week not as much
I don’t measure just sprinkle it on
Now with winter I have been adding it daily as they aren’t able to forge through the snow

If the duck is struggling with low niacin then I would use durvet liquid vitamin B
If you are doing it as a preventative then adding some to the water in a smaller bowl ( I did this with my ducklings to make sure they got the extra
But I also add nutritional yeast 1tbs to 1 cup feed until about 10-12 weeks depending on breed of duck
Now with winter I have been adding it daily as they aren’t able to forge through the

Now with winter I have been adding it daily as they aren’t able to forge through the snow
I am doing this as prevention against niacin deficiency. So for my case you recommend sprinkling nutritional yeast on their feed correct?

I agree it matters why you're using it.. but I prefer mixed in feed or treat instaed of water.

Also.. if using a proper formulated ration and not diminishing nutrients with excess treats.. then no supplementation is required! No fear mongering either!

Example.. I raised all my ducklings full term on Purina Flock Raiser and had zero issues.. it contains 55 ppm niacin as per my contact with the company since it isn't listed on the tag. Jumbo Pekin do require higher levels at closer to 70 ppm.

If you want to feed synthetic B vitamins and yeast both, look for "Fortified Nutritional Yeast." If you want unfortified Nutritional yeast, compare all the labels for the highest levels of the nutrients you are interested in. A lot of people aren't aware that most nutritional yeast is "fortified" with synthetic B vitamins, just like in a b-complex pill. Yeast has incredible benefits for birds far beyond the b-vitamin content, it's a great supplement for them.

Thanks for all the great advice. I have raised them on purina duck pellets for 7 months now and have had little to no problems. But, just to be safe I am gonna buy some nutritional yeast and sprinkle a tablespoon of it on their pellets every night(they seem to eat their more at night than when I feed them in the morning).😁👍

Thanks for all the great advice. I have raised them on purina duck pellets for 7 months now and have had little to no problems. But, just to be safe I am gonna buy some nutritional yeast and sprinkle a tablespoon of it on their pellets every night(they seem to eat their more at night than when I feed them in the morning).😁👍
Great idea
It’s much easier to prevent then to cure once the issue is bad

I agree it matters why you're using it.. but I prefer mixed in feed or treat instaed of water.

Also.. if using a proper formulated ration and not diminishing nutrients with excess treats.. then no supplementation is required! No fear mongering either!

Example.. I raised all my ducklings full term on Purina Flock Raiser and had zero issues.. it contains 55 ppm niacin as per my contact with the company since it isn't listed on the tag. Jumbo Pekin do require higher levels at closer to 70 ppm.
I have been using Mazuri WaterStarter snd it states 55 ppm as well. My 3.5 week old duckling has developed naicin deficiency anyway. I'm devastated. Despite my best efforts.

I have been using Mazuri WaterStarter snd it states 55 ppm as well. My 3.5 week old duckling has developed naicin deficiency anyway. I'm devastated. Despite my best efforts.
The feed is never enough for some Breeds
Just start durvet B complex 1ml over small treat ( a few peas ) or directly by syringe
Also put nutritional yeast 1tbs to 1 cup feed till 12 weeks then sprinkle it on a few times a week just ti make sure they are getting a bit more even as teens and adults

Back
Top Bottom