Should I let my chicken hatch eggs?

Bokk

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2024
I want to get more chickens because my chicken is lonely (long story no nothing happened to the rest) I want 3 more but I’m not sure if I should get her friends or let her hatch some now that i finally can

She became broody like last month and I broke her out of it then she went back
It would be great if she was busy with hatching eggs because I’m busy with making the backyard nice for her and busy with school but I’m not sure because there’s also bunch of downsides so idk

First it would be good because she would get to be a mother which I don’t want to rob her of the experience and she also gets friends when they grow up the problem is I can’t control the number or the sex of the chicks , if I put too many they might all hatch if I put too little they might not all hatch or half and half and I might need to try and stick chicks under her, I also do not want roosters!!! They’re cute and all but I don’t have the space for 8 hens ! Also I don’t know if I can handle a mean rooster but I’m sure my chicken will put him in his place though cuz she doesn’t play around lol

Another thing is I see people say “aggression breeds aggression”? So if she raises chicks that aren’t her does this still apply? She’s a sweet heart but also a weapon lol which is great for a mother hen but not so great if all her hens are aren’t afraid to bite me too (maybe it’s just cause she’s lonely and they won’t become like that)

Another thing is heat ,my country is super hot so I can probably hatch them but I’m worried about her over heating she’s spends half the day playing with me inside because the sun is that hot and she can’t handle it well I have those portable acs but the air still hot

Teenage phase ; I’m worried they’ll have an awful teenage phase like their mom but I also think that could’ve happened because she wanted company so I can’t blame her and her chicks will have her and eachother+me

Behaviour: she gets hard to handle when she gets mean or broody so idk how to go about it if theres a way to make her not see me as a threat to her eggs or babies because I want to be able to handle them and play with them also her trust means a lot to me so if we can “co-parent” that would be great (advice on how to do that if possible lol)

I’m not too worried about her being a bad mom because raising chicks is so rewarding but I think she’ll be a good mother but I am worried about her becoming broody right After
It would be ideal for me if I can let her hatch eggs indoors but is that possible? (Advice on this please)

Im gonna do more research about egg hatching but I need some opinions on if I should let her go broody or just break her out of it I would like to hear personal experience so I can make my decision thank you for reading:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

If you give her eggs other than her own you won't know the temperament of the parents. Could be aggression, might not. 🤷‍♀️ Sounds like your broody has some aggression issues herself, some of which just goes with broodiness. But if I'm reading you right, she can be feisty even when not broody, so yeah, her chicks might not be the cuddlebugs you're hoping for. And ... she might not let you near them anyway. Finally, yes, you need to think about any and all males you might hatch out. If you're not prepared to deal with them ... don't hatch. Sorry, but .. just don't.

If you give her eggs other than her own you won't know the temperament of the parents. Could be aggression, might not. 🤷‍♀️ Sounds like your broody has some aggression issues herself, some of which just goes with broodiness. But if I'm reading you right, she can be feisty even when not broody, so yeah, her chicks might not be the cuddlebugs you're hoping for. And ... she might not let you near them anyway. Finally, yes, you need to think about any and all males you might hatch out. If you're not prepared to deal with them ... don't hatch. Sorry, but .. just don't.
She’s not mean she’s very sweet it’s just she won’t really tolerate people messing with her lol and she’s very snuggly i think I can give the males to the chicken farm nearby but I think I might get too attached I think that’s the biggest problem I guess, I can deal with a cockerel I think a full grown rooster would be the problem because I’m small but I wouldn’t keep a mean rooster anyway, I’m considering it a lot less now I appreciate your honesty because she could give me some mean kids but she won’t break from her broodiness so I’ll figure that out

I’ve heard you can put baby chicks under a hen at night after she’s been sitting a little while. Not sure how well this works as it seems to work really well for some people and not so good for others. I’ve had two broody hens one went broody twice and the other has only gone broody once so far. They would maybe growl a little but they still seemed to trust me and were the ones that taught their babies to cuddle with me.

She’s not mean she’s very sweet it’s just she won’t really tolerate people messing with her lol and she’s very snuggly i think I can give the males to the chicken farm nearby but I think I might get too attached I think that’s the biggest problem I guess, I can deal with a cockerel I think a full grown rooster would be the problem because I’m small but I wouldn’t keep a mean rooster anyway, I’m considering it a lot less now I appreciate your honesty because she could give me some mean kids but she won’t break from her broodiness so I’ll figure that out
if you don't want roosters, but you want her to raise chicks, the best option would be to get some sex link chicks, that way you know they are female. just slide them into the nest and watch for a few hours to make sure she is nice to them.

if you don't want roosters, but you want her to raise chicks, the best option would be to get some sex link chicks, that way you know they are female. just slide them into the nest and watch for a few hours to make sure she is nice to them.
Great idea I wanted to do something like that’s but wasn’t sure if it was going to actually work :) I’m gonna search a bit more about it

I’ve heard you can put baby chicks under a hen at night after she’s been sitting a little while. Not sure how well this works as it seems to work really well for some people and not so good for others. I’ve had two broody hens one went broody twice and the other has only gone broody once so far. They would maybe growl a little but they still seemed to trust me and were the ones that taught their babies to cuddle with , thanks!

I’ve heard you can put baby chicks under a hen at night after she’s been sitting a little while. Not sure how well this works as it seems to work really well for some people and not so good for others. I’ve had two broody hens one went broody twice and the other has only gone broody once so far. They would maybe growl a little but they still seemed to trust me and were the ones that taught their babies to cuddle with me.
Nice I‘ll search about it thanks :) I hope she still trust me after

I want 3 more............ I can’t control the number or the sex of the chicks ........I also do not want roosters!!...........I’m worried they’ll have an awful teenage phase
Can you find three hens about her age. That avoids all of the issues you mentioned. You would have to do an integration but people do that all of the time.

True, I’m trying to consider hatching before giving up on it completely but getting 3 hens does seem a lot easier lol
Can you find three hens about her age. That avoids all of the issues you mentioned. You would have to do an integration but people do that all of the time.

Back
Top Bottom