Should I remove the curtains?

4xhennifer

Chirping
Apr 8, 2024
I have a pullet that is at the point of lay for her breed (blue australorp, 20 weeks) and has been showing all the signs she’s ready. She’s been going in and out of the coop each morning for two weeks, reliably submissive squatting, red comb and wattles etc.

I put the curtains up a few weeks ago before she was showing signs, but just to get them ready and familiar with something new in the coop. They don’t go anywhere near the boxes (they didn’t even before the curtains were up) but now I am starting to think it’s scaring her from going into the nests. Here’s a picture that doesn’t show a ton of clues but it might help you form an opinion. I have aspen nesting pads with a few fake eggs in a few of the boxes. My question is.. should I remove the curtains? The coop gets a lot of morning light so I was hoping to use the curtains to darken it up but maybe it’s working against me. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_9205.jpeg
    IMG_9205.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I have a pullet that is at the point of lay for her breed (blue australorp, 20 weeks) and has been showing all the signs she’s ready. She’s been going in an out of the coop each morning for two weeks, reliably submissive squatting, red comb and wattles etc.

I put the curtains up a few weeks ago before she was showing signs, but just to get them ready and familiar with something new in the coop. They don’t go anywhere near the boxes (they didn’t even before the curtains were up) but now I am starting to think it’s scaring her from going into the nests. Here’s a picture that doesn’t show a ton of clues but it might help you form an opinion. I have aspen nesting pads with a few fake eggs in a few of the boxes. My question is.. should I remove the curtains? The coop gets a lot of morning light so I was hoping to use the curtains to darken it up but maybe it’s working against me. Thoughts?
The nestboxes will probably be fine with curtains or without curtains.

But you could take down some of the curtains, so she has a choice, and then see where she chooses to lay her egg when the time comes. I do not think it will make much difference to her, but it should not cause any harm either, and might be easier for you than trying to decide one way or the other for all the nestboxes.

No matter how perfect the nests, it is common for some pullets to lay their first egg or even several eggs on the floor somewhere. They usually figure it out fairly soon, and some other pullets seem to figure it out from the very first, but finding a pullet egg on the floor does not usually mean there is anything wrong with the nests.

Last edited:
The nestboxes will probably fine with curtains or without curtains.

But you could take down some of the curtains, so she has a choice, and then see where she chooses to lay her egg when the time comes. I do not think it will make much difference to her, but it should not cause any harm either, and might be easier for you than trying to decide one way or the other for all the nestboxes.

No matter how perfect the nests, it is common for some pullets to lay their first egg or even several eggs on the floor somewhere. They usually figure it out fairly soon, and some other pullets seem to figure it out from the very first, but finding a pullet egg on the floor does not usually mean there is anything wrong with the nests.
This is a fantastic idea. Thank you!

The nestboxes will probably be fine with curtains or without curtains.

Well.. it was the box without the curtains. :) First egg has arrived! Thank you!! For anyone reading this thread in the future, my girl is 20 weeks, 2 days old today. Blue australorp. 👏🏼🎉

Attachments

• IMG_9303.jpeg
    IMG_9303.jpeg
    301.3 KB · Views: 25
Well.. it was the box without the curtains. :) First egg has arrived! Thank you!! For anyone reading this thread in the future, my girl is 20 weeks, 2 days old today. Blue australorp. 👏🏼🎉
Congratulations! So exciting! I have a Blue Australorp that 20 weeks, 3 days and she's still not laying. Quick question if you don't mind... her comb and wattles do look bigger but they're black, not red. Did your girl start off black and then turn red? Or do I just have an odd one that will stay black? Thank you!

Congratulations! So exciting! I have a Blue Australorp that 20 weeks, 3 days and she's still not laying. Quick question if you don't mind... her comb and wattles do look bigger but they're black, not red. Did your girl start off black and then turn red? Or do I just have an odd one that will stay black? Thank you!
Hi! Her wattles and comb are very red. Here is a pic of my Dottie. They started turning red and getting bigger about 2-3 weeks ago and she started squatting about 2 weeks ago. I knew she was ready bc she was going in and out of the nest boxes for the last couple of days.

Attachments

• IMG_9325.jpeg
    IMG_9325.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Hi! Her wattles and comb are very red. Here is a pic of my Dottie. They started turning red and getting bigger about 2-3 weeks ago and she started squatting about 2 weeks ago. I knew she was ready bc she was going in and out of the nest boxes for the last couple of days.
She's beautiful! I call my girl goth because she's still black but there's a tiny bit of red showing through. I'm finding it hard to believe her comb will change from black to red.

Attachments

• 20240824_165245.jpg
    20240824_165245.jpg
    952.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240824_165234.jpg
    20240824_165234.jpg
    616.9 KB · Views: 14
She's beautiful! I call my girl goth because she's still black but there's a tiny bit of red showing through. I'm finding it hard to believe her comb will change from black to red.
She will get there don’t worry! I have a Blue Copper Marans that went from this to this in literally a few days. She just started squatting today. 😊

Attachments

• IMG_8818.jpeg
    IMG_8818.jpeg
    445.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9311.jpeg
    IMG_9311.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 20

Back
Top Bottom