Show off your Old English Game Bantams!!

I figured as much about the hatchery birds I will look elsewhere and use them as a fallback only. How have the temperaments been in the cocks for those that have had hatchery birds?

Thank you guys for the responses I will look into those places and hopefully this spring/summer I will be posting pics of our new littles.

I am still curious BC no one mentioned how they thought Minnie and her poor lost mate Mickey look. Man it's amazing how much I miss that little roo!

The second photo is Minnie last spring molting and bug hunting so you'll have to forgive her appearance. I'm hoping you can get an idea of her type from the photo.

There were about three weeks last spring/summer where none of my OEGB or my sebright hen had tails they all looked like araucanas(sp?) Lol and them poor Crocket was under the weather for a couple weeks and looked like a wilted flower. She molted badly and was completely pin feathers and was so miserable.

This last photo is my self blue hen Crocket she's a wonderful girl. She does have a comb that folds which I'm sure is bad. How bad is it and can I breed that out? Sorry about the bad photo lol she's usually on my shoulder so good pics are a bit rare of both her and Minnie BC of that. Lol

She's such a stunning little girl. She did break a toe as a chick which gives her one crooked toe but she hatched with perfect feet. She was an assist due to sticky chick. Her toe healed and it doesn't affect her at all, plus at least broken toes aren't genetic.

The two black split to self blue pullets I have are from her and Mickey.

Crocket is just a lovely little girl. I really like her color. As for the comb, you would probably want to mate her with a rooster who had an exemplary straight comb right out of the book,so to speak. Your little roo was gorgeous. I'm hoping to hatch blacks this summer. Found a source in northern Missouri that is about 45 minutes away or less. Day trip!-

I had a Buff O roo with a curled comb. Every chick he sired had that same wave, drat it. Other than that he was a beautiful boy and can be seen on my avatar. Unfortunately I too lost my sweet rooster to an infection last June. His son is now my flock master at the moment.

The ones I ended up with were very friendly, both the roos and the hens. The roos didn't seem to be quite as attentive to the hens as the roos I had from a local breeder but that may have changed as they got older. I sold all my hatchery stock before they were a year old and just kept the breeder stock. The only reason I had tried hatchery stock was for different varieties and a lot of the colors didn't run true. 

My all time favorite roo was a BBR hatchery bird. He was smart, friendly and followed me all around the yard like a dog, or rode around on my shoulder. He's buried out back among my most beloved pets.

Thank you all for the compliments on our birds. And also for the stories of your hatchery birds that you have loved. It gives me hope that even if we do have to get hatchery birds that we can still get some nice stock and start over with them breeding for better and better birds.

I really miss Mickey so much and I wish I could have buried him. He was such a wonderful rooster.

Back
Top Bottom