Show off your Old English Game Bantams!!

So this seems as good a place as any to show my stupidity.
big_smile.png

I have searched and searched for a simple answer and just can't seem to find one. Can someone please tell me the best way (or easiest, or most accurate, or whatever descriptor you want to use) to tell the difference between Dutch, Japanese, OEGBs, and Seramas? Not just one is usually smaller, or one stands upright, one has short legs, or those kinds of things. I mean something genetically specific, like one has 4 points on the comb, one has 5.... (not true in this case, just making an example)

I found the following info on a thread here. Its about as specific as I can find, but still not quite what I'm looking for.
-Dubbing is done by humans, they are not born dubbed.
-OE and Seramas "should" have red earlobes, but the occasional white comes along, that doesn't make it a Dutch.

Can anybody shed any light for me, please?

Quote:

So this seems as good a place as any to show my stupidity. :D

I have searched and searched for a simple answer and just can't seem to find one.  Can someone please tell me the best way (or easiest, or most accurate, or whatever descriptor you want to use) to tell the difference between Dutch, Japanese, OEGBs, and Seramas?  Not just one is usually smaller, or one stands upright, one has short legs, or those kinds of things.  I mean something genetically specific, like one has 4 points on the comb, one has 5.... (not true in this case, just making an example)

I found the following info on a thread here.  Its about as specific as I can find, but still not quite what I'm looking for.
-Dubbing is done by humans, they are not born dubbed. 
-OE and Seramas "should" have red earlobes, but the occasional white comes along, that doesn't make it a Dutch. 

Can anybody shed any light for me, please?

The ones with the greatest similarity are Dutch and OEGB. Dutch have big white round earlobes and blue legs. Other than that, it's just being able to notice body shape between the four. They look distinctly different to me, but at one time or another, I've raised all of them.

The ones with the greatest similarity are Dutch and OEGB. Dutch have big white round earlobes and blue legs. Other than that, it's just being able to notice body shape between the four. They look distinctly different to me, but at one time or another, I've raised all of them.

Thanks for that, and i agree they do look different, but oftentimes I see one that I can't tell for sure. Or they will say its one, and I think it's another. I was hoping there were more definite signs than just that it looks like this or that, if that makes sense.

Honestly, what brought it up, I posted a pic of a Serama of mine, laying on eggs, not posing, can barely see her comb, cannot see her legs at all, her shape is not even evident. But was told it wasn't a Serama. So I was trying to research what the &#4* else it was suspected of being. :/

And since I raise two of those breeds (and previously had Japs too), I can surely tell differences between them! I just don't know... Sorry for the vent.

Thanks for that, and i agree they do look different, but oftentimes I see one that I can't tell for sure. Or they will say its one, and I think it's another. I was hoping there were more definite signs than just that it looks like this or that, if that makes sense.

Honestly, what brought it up, I posted a pic of a Serama of mine, laying on eggs, not posing, can barely see her comb, cannot see her legs at all, her shape is not even evident. But was told it wasn't a Serama. So I was trying to research what the &#4* else it was suspected of being. :/

And since I raise two of those breeds (and previously had Japs too), I can surely tell differences between them! I just don't know... Sorry for the vent.

A hen laying down that you can't see the type and form of, it's really not possible to say "nope, that's not so and so" when you can't even really see what the bird looks like. That's my opinion, at least, especially with breeds that look so similar to each other.

:hugs

Last edited:
Thanks Pyxis. I just need to ignore stuff, ya know.... On a better note, pics of a few of today/yesterday's hatchers: Left, suspected male SDW center - chick from blue brassy hen x SDW, right - suspected female SDW - same order, all pics. (the little girl's curled toes have straightened out since I took the pics) **** editing - changed my mind after these fluffed and dried more, suspected male is now suspected female! Yeah! ***

Last edited:

I couldn't tell if the bird was setting on eggs, but my experience with seramas is scant. It's all about shape, size and posture. You can't really judge a bird from a pic, good or bad. I have a buddy who has porcelain OEGBs. I looked at some pics and wasn't impressed. But when I saw them in person, I was amazed at the depth of color, they looked like mother of pearl. Pics couldn't possibly do them justice.

So, I hatched 8, my hen has 2, with one more egg pipped, and her final egg looked like a quitter last time I checked it, but I left it with her. Pretty sure her 2 are a male and a female, but I think these only look like 2 males! I haven't been that lucky in a very long time. The one in my hand is the one that came from the blue brassy. :)

This Crele has looked a bit different from the start and based on down and now feathers I've been certain it's a male, but it seems to be holding off on a comb and wattles. It's ten weeks old now.

So, I hatched 8, my hen has 2, with one more egg pipped, and her final egg looked like a quitter last time I checked it, but I left it with her. Pretty sure her 2 are a male and a female, but I think these only look like 2 males! I haven't been that lucky in a very long time. The one in my hand is the one that came from the blue brassy. :)

:love. :love. :love. :love
:frow

Back
Top Bottom