Show off your Peas!

celebrate.gif
Happy dance!
wee.gif

My IB hen doesn't have this look on her tail feathers. Is something different seen with the Black shoulders? These appear to me as the loose barbed feathers. However she's is a she right?! Lol! Forgive me but I don't have that much experience with other varieties.

I don't have a pic of the flight feathers and I'll go read after I post this but do the Black Shoulder hens have the rust color primaries as well?

Feedback appreciated.

My IB hen doesn't have this look on her tail feathers. Is something different seen with the Black shoulders? These appear to me as the loose barbed feathers. However she's is a she right?! Lol! Forgive me but I don't have that much experience with other varieties.

I don't have a pic of the flight feathers and I'll go read after I post this but do the Black Shoulder hens have the rust color primaries as well?

Feedback appreciated.

She looks like BS

Feedback appreciated.

Yes that is a peahen. Blackshoulder peahens are one of the few, or possibly only variety where the peahen will have rust colored flight feathers like a male peacock. I know people normally say that males have the rust colored flight feathers and females have brown flight feathers, but you can forget that advise when it comes to blackshoulders. The blackshoulder peahen's train feathers will have that black line down the center. They have really neat patterns and colors for sure.

Last edited:
Yes that is a peahen. Blackshoulder peahens are one of the few, or possibly only variety where the peahen will have rust colored flight feathers like a male peacock. I know people normally say that males have the rust colored flight feathers and females have brown flight feathers, but you can forget that advise when it comes to blackshoulders. The blackshoulder peahen's train feathers will have that black line down the center. They have really neat patterns and colors for sure.
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I think she's stunning!

Ok, my Pea mentors...I have a question, & I did try to look for an answer before asking here (disclaimer in case answer is a no-brainer lol):
What does it mean, if anything, when my hens seem to be running around, as if chasing bugs or something? Could it be that's what they're actually doing or could it be related to possibly getting ready for breeding season?
She is playing they dodge in and around things, duck and jump then sometimes they might fly , around here there Can be 5 or 6 at a time doing this in a group it is so funny.

They look great .

Back
Top Bottom