Showmanship Breed Conundrum

fryburgfarmer

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2015
Ohio
(I'm new to the site so have mercy!)
I purchased 15 female Polish chicks from a hatchery online and received a Polish cockerel (non-bearded), a Buff Orpington pullet, and 12 Polish pullets (2 bearded). Next year I hope to receive both male and female bantams and a whole new set (breed unknown) pullets. I am in 4H and participate in showmanship every year. I usually use a pullet, but since I have a cockerel, I was wondering if there was a certain difference in the way each gender does in showmanship. Which gender does the judge prefer?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Roosters have fancier head feathers, so I hear, so this may impress judges.

I heard that there wasn't any poultry showing because of bird flu. Is that not a problem around you?

Best of luck with your showing!
thumbsup.gif

No, Avian Flu has had a big effect here as well.
sad.png
I was just going to prep whichever bird way in advance for (hopefully) next year. My roo is a bit stubborn but with a whole year, I think I can fare well! I'll probably have a pullet as a backup! Thanks a ton!

Judges really don't prefer one gender to the other. Remember, the bird isn't being judged in showmanship- you are. Pick whichever bird behaves best (not flighty) and is in the best condition. I've found hens or pullets to usually be the best choice, since they tend to be tamer and seem to keep themselves in better condition. But, if your Polish cock or cockerel behaves better than your females (and is in the best condition- don't bring a Polish in to showmanship with missing crest feathers), use him.

Judges really don't prefer one gender to the other. Remember, the bird isn't being judged in showmanship- you are. Pick whichever bird behaves best (not flighty) and is in the best condition. I've found hens or pullets to usually be the best choice, since they tend to be tamer and seem to keep themselves in  better condition. But, if your Polish cock or cockerel behaves better than your females (and is in the best condition- don't bring a Polish in to showmanship with missing crest feathers), use him.

My girls are a heck of a lot calmer. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom