veronicaseramachick

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2022
Wilmington, NC
I have 9 Serama eggs ( from my own chickens ) in a brinsea mini automatic incubator. There was a point where the humidity probably got a little low earlier in hatching because I accidentally let it get under the tube in the outside place used to fill the inside, but it was low for very little time. I read that if it gets a little low it will lose weight and you could just make it a little more humid than usual to let it gain weight. The incubator doesn't have anything to tell the humidity so I kept it full on one side ( what the incubator instructions say to do ) and kept the water on the outside at or a little below the fill line. On day 18 when I got home the first chick had piped, it broke a piece of shell off but had not broken through the membrane. It was also piped on the wrong side. It not being on lock down yet, I opened the incubator and helped it open the membrane thinking it would not hurt anyone else. I put the incubator on lock down right when I put that chick back. By the morning 3 more had piped and that one was starting to zip. There was very little condensation on the incubator so I worried that it would be too dry.
Later on, that same chick I had poked the membrane for, has skipped a small bit and make another pip. I ended up putting the incubator in my bathroom to make it steamy from the shower. I helped that chick get out because it had been struggling for many hours. I only helped it get out at least 25 hours after it piped ( starting at 3 when i got home). A few more chicks came and hatched very easily. But 2 more eggs are on the wrong side. I did not help them out and they got out good by themselves. I did end up opening the incubator to take a few chicks out which was a mistake.
8 of them had hatched but one had not even piped. I made a "peeking whole" in the top of the shell by the air pocket only after it had been a considerable amount of time and it was making noises, struggling. I put it back and then got it out again because I finally realized the chick was shrink wrapped. I helped it a bit but the chick still had blood vessels and I accidentally made it bleed just a bit but it stopped thankfully. After reading more, the chick needs to be put back so the yolk can be absorbed and blood recede. I don't really know how much time it needs. I did put Vaseline on the white membrane and water to make sure it is moist and also to see where the blood is. Its beak is out and making noises but its head is not and I can see the feet are all the way up by her head. I'm not worried about opening the incubator because all the others have hatched, and this one is already shrink wrapped. There seems to be a big blood vessel right by her beak. Around tonight at 4 will be 24 hours since I made the "seeing whole" and then opened him up a bit. His hole front of the shell has basically been removed but I don't want to remove more because they can make themselves bleed out.

Does anyone know when the blood vessels will recede or even if they will? Or what could help?

I'm pretty sure my humidity is the reason for the eggs pipping the wrong way. The incubator doesn't have anything to read the humidity and Seramas require less humidity than normal chicks. The rotation was only making quarter turns back and forth. Next time I am going to make sure my humidity is right and definitely NOT open the incubator to get any chicks out. Any recommendations for humidity readers?
Also the first chick i helped is making clicking noises every now and the, he is also active and drinking lots of water.

The chicken was mal-positioned. This is how he was positioned. The blood vessels finally receded and he was able to be helped out with no blood.
1646940847455.png

Back
Top Bottom