Shut eye and lethargic

The cheek coop

Crowing
Jun 20, 2023
London Ky
I went out this evening to gather eggs and noticed our white leghorn hen was not opening her right eye and was acting very lethargic. If anyone has a suggestion please let me know. This my daughter’s favorite hen. Please help.

Attachments

• IMG_2091.jpeg
    IMG_2091.jpeg
    895.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2092.jpeg
    IMG_2092.jpeg
    889.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2087.jpeg
    IMG_2087.jpeg
    874.3 KB · Views: 7
I wonder if maybe the white spot is a bite? Maybe she got bit by something. I know they recommend terramycin ointment for an eye infection but I don’t know much more than that.
I’m sorry I’m not more help! I’m fairly new myself.
I appreciate the help. I am fairly new as well. Other than bumble foot we haven’t really had any issues. We have had a couple of sudden deaths (fine one day dead the next) but that has been a year ago.

Looks like a peck mark maybe.

Are you sure that is a hen?

Sudden deaths can be from fatty liver disease which is caused by eating too many treats/not a proper balanced diet. I see A LOT of scratch like stuff all over the floor of your run. That shouldn't be fed regularly and if fed at all only a small spoonful worth per bird per day.

I wonder if maybe the white spot is a bite? Maybe she got bit by something. I know they recommend terramycin ointment for an eye infection but I don’t know much more than that.
I’m sorry I’m not more help! I’m fairly new myself.
I use the terramycin on a similar eye issue make sure you gently pull down on their face to get the medicine in the pocket of their eye.
I would also treat with an antibiotic orally. I'm using doxycycline since it's so broad based

Back
Top Bottom