Sick duckling with respiratory issues :(

iluvsedward

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 19, 2010
Calvert County MD
Hi all, this is my little call duckling who hatched in march, almost a month old. Since it hatched its been low energy, and had difficulty breathing through it's nares. I didnt think much of it because it eats and drinks and it didnt seem to get worse so i thought maybe it would pass. Unfortunately it hasnt gotten any better and the duckling is now underweight compared to it's siblings. It scratches at its nares a lot, doesnt seem to wash them in the water like the other ducklings. Doesnt really like water much at all. Sometimes it pants through its mouth and it always seems to be out of breath and its whole body moves when it breathes. Today one of its eyes was a little goopy and i cleared it with a damp paper towel. I have sav a chick electrolytes and probiotics but i dont think that will do anything because i had them on it for a few days awhile ago.

Here is a video. Its dirty looking because it doesnt really like to swim.

ETA: They are on flock raiser crumbles and i supplemented "flush free" niacin and sav a chick for a few days when they hatched in march.

Last edited:
Hi all, this is my little call duckling who hatched in march, almost a month old. Since it hatched its been low energy, and had difficulty breathing through it's nares. I didnt think much of it because it eats and drinks and it didnt seem to get worse so i thought maybe it would pass. Unfortunately it hasnt gotten any better and the duckling is now underweight compared to it's siblings. It scratches at its nares a lot, doesnt seem to wash them in the water like the other ducklings. Doesnt really like water much at all. Sometimes it pants through its mouth and it always seems to be out of breath and its whole body moves when it breathes. Today one of its eyes was a little goopy and i cleared it with a damp paper towel. I have sav a chick electrolytes and probiotics but i dont think that will do anything because i had them on it for a few days awhile ago.

ETA: They are on flock raiser crumbles and i supplemented "flush free" niacin and sav a chick for a few days when they hatched in march.

Hello...
I had a little Call Duckling that gasped and had breathing issues from Birth. I sadly Culled him yesterday because he was suffering..Possibly yours has to small of nares or has pneumonia?..Under developed lungs?..
I'm really not sure?..Enlarged heart?..
Best wishes....

Can you take it to a vet? If not, you could try to treat it for a respiratory infection with something like Baytril. To treat it with Baytril you will need to get it's weight and I suggest a kitchen or postal scale. Baytril is a powerful antibiotic and the dose must be calculated carefully.

Oral Baytril
http://www.allbirdproducts.com/newproductpages/baytril.html
https://ladygouldianfinch.com/product_baytril.php
http://www.jedds.com/shop/misc/

Thank you for responding. She is feathering a bit and is a third of the size of her siblings who are almost all feathered out. She continues to eat and drink and grow, though very slowly. Does TSC have baytril? @casportpony
No, you would have to order it, but TSC does sell Tylan 50, so you could try that. Can you buy needles and syringes in MD?

Back
Top Bottom