Sick hen pale comb 90 degree+ weather won't stand unless provoked won't eat or drink yellow/green poop

LandonE

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2024
hi I have a lavender orpington hen named winter recently in at our house 95-98 degree weather our hen has gotten lethargic not standing or walking unless I try to pick her up (she's a shyer hen) she won't eat or drink and stays in coop ive tried offering all types of food and she doesn't care I think either | heat exhaustion | cociosodious (ik I spelled it wrong) | or reproduction issues but I would like a second opinion if anybody needs to I can get some pictures if needed but she just sits on the lowest perch all day and doesn't eat or drink has green/yellow poop pale comb and doesn't want to move around or free range

Welcome To BYC

Can you please post photos of your hen and her poop?

How old is she?

When was her last egg?

What do you feed, including treats?

Is her crop emptying?

Any lice/mites?

Are you in the U.S. or ?

Hard to tell what's going on with her, hopefully with answers to the questions above, we can offer better suggestions.

For now, I would work on hydration, get some electrolytes into her, then see if she will eat a bit of wet mushy feed.

Welcome To BYC

Can you please post photos of your hen and her poop?

How old is she?

When was her last egg?

What do you feed, including treats?

Is her crop emptying?

Any lice/mites?

Are you in the U.S. or ?

Hard to tell what's going on with her, hopefully with answers to the questions above, we can offer better suggestions.

For now, I would work on hydration, get some electrolytes into her, then see if she will eat a bit of wet mushy feed.
I can't figure out how to sign into my phone (im on computer) her poop is all liquid and white and green she is 2 years old her last egg was 5 days ago we feed a purina all flock feed and every 2-3 days a couple mealworms he crop is emptying no mites and I do live in the us she won't stand unless I make her

I'd start her on Calcium Citrate+D3 for 5 days to see if that helps. She may be having some reproductive problems if she's not laid an egg recently.

Can you tell if she's got any bloat or fluid in the abdomen below the vent between the legs?

Work on hydration.

When you feed chickens all flock feed it is good to give them a source of calcium, like crushed oyster shell. All flock feed has less calcium than layer feed because chicks and roosters don't need the calcium that hens need.

I agree with @Wyorp Rock on giving calcium supplements as well as working on hydration.

I'd start her on Calcium Citrate+D3 for 5 days to see if that helps. She may be having some reproductive problems if she's not laid an egg recently.

Can you tell if she's got any bloat or fluid in the abdomen below the vent between the legs?

Work on hydration.
alright ive been treating her for 1 day for corid should I stop that and put supplements in?

alright ive been treating her for 1 day for corid should I stop that and put supplements in?
The Corid won't hurt her. If you've started it, then you can finish the treatment.

You will still want to give her the extra Calcium, just don't give any extra vitamins/supplements that contain B1(Thiamine) when treating with Corid. The Calcium tablet, you just pop into her beak and let her swallow.

The Corid won't hurt her. If you've started it, then you can finish the treatment.

You will still want to give her the extra Calcium, just don't give any extra vitamins/supplements that contain B1(Thiamine) when treating with Corid. The Calcium tablet, you just pop into her beak and let her swallow.
will oyster shells work like a calcium tablet?

she hasn't eaten or drank anything unless I hand forced her and I gave her some calcium (in the form of oyster shells) but the problem is im leaving out of town in 2 days is this a slow recovery thing?

she won't eat anything refused food and everything for the past 2 days I have to leave to go out of town on Friday morning and I don't know what to do for her @Wyorp Rock

Back
Top Bottom