Sick hen?

lmadeline146

Songster
Jun 6, 2022
Today when I went down to my coop, I noticed my 2 y/o Mystic Maran standing still and panting. I let my flock out to free range and she followed but instead of pecking around and looking for food, she was standing still watching everyone else. She wasn’t panting all the time but I noticed she started to after I picked her up. Her poo is white and runny. I don’t think she’s egg bound since I checked her vent (which was normal) and she wasn’t standing upright or walking like a penguin. I brought her back to the coop and she went over to the eggs and I think she may have laid one, but she also ate an egg. Her crop wasn’t full but I saw her drinking and eating earlier.

What could be wrong with her? It’s only been going on today and she was completely normal yesterday. It’s 78 degrees today but recently it has been in the high 80s and low 90s.

Attachments

• 9C03B9FF-82C6-45C2-8DDB-1AD13F444120.jpeg
    9C03B9FF-82C6-45C2-8DDB-1AD13F444120.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 18
I would observe her to make sure that she is eating and drinking. She might be having a hard time with the heat. Is there plenty of shade and ventilation in the coop? Make sure that she is laying eggs for sure. Check her crop early in the morning to make sure it is emptying overnight. Look at her skin under the vent and elsewhere for evidence of lice or mites. Consider worming her with Valbazen or SafeGuard. A dose of Poultry NutriDrench 2 ml given orally might give a boost.

I would observe her to make sure that she is eating and drinking. She might be having a hard time with the heat. Is there plenty of shade and ventilation in the coop? Make sure that she is laying eggs for sure. Check her crop early in the morning to make sure it is emptying overnight. Look at her skin under the vent and elsewhere for evidence of lice or mites. Consider worming her with Valbazen or SafeGuard. A dose of Poultry NutriDrench 2 ml given orally might give a boost.
She was dead yesterday morning. She had plenty of shade and she was eating and drinking last time I checked her over. I had a fan running as well in the coop. I can’t really say if there was any clues with the body since my dad was the one who found her. I have no clue what happened.

She was dead yesterday morning. She had plenty of shade and she was eating and drinking last time I checked her over. I had a fan running as well in the coop. I can’t really say if there was any clues with the body since my dad was the one who found her. I have no clue what happened.
To add to this, she’s never had health issues and I’ve never had diseases or mites/fleas in my flock. My dad said she looked as if she’d died and fallen off the roost since she was laying underneath it. She had no open wounds and the other chickens left her body alone. I’m not sure if they’re related, but a chick of mine died a month ago out of the blue but it looked as if her organs or something was coming out of her vent but I just assumed she was unwell since birth since I had to assist her hatching.

Back
Top Bottom