sick pullet, eyes closed, lethargic

Muffinburgler

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 8, 2012
Watsonville, CA
Went outside today to find my shy little orpington acting odd. She has her eyes closed and is acting very sleepy, huddling up either by herself or with her friends if she can find them. No runny nose, no wheezing or sneezing, so it doesn't seem respiratory. Haven't seen her poop yet. Should we still give her tetracycline or is this something just a few nights of sleeping indoors by herself help? Could this just be exhaustion? She and her "siblings" are relatively new to the flock, so our dominant hen is hassling them all night by demanding their sleeping spots because obviously every spot is her spot.

We live on coastal California so our nights are definitely not chilly, so I don't think a cold night is the cause either.

EDIT: Just saw her poop. It was yellow liquid. That's making me worry it's something serious.

Last edited:
Went outside today to find my shy little orpington acting odd. She has her eyes closed and is acting very sleepy, huddling up either by herself or with her friends if she can find them. No runny nose, no wheezing or sneezing, so it doesn't seem respiratory. Haven't seen her poop yet. Should we still give her tetracycline or is this something just a few nights of sleeping indoors by herself help? Could this just be exhaustion? She and her "siblings" are relatively new to the flock, so our dominant hen is hassling them all night by demanding their sleeping spots because obviously every spot is her spot.

We live on coastal California so our nights are definitely not chilly, so I don't think a cold night is the cause either.
You mentioned she is new to flock,could be a coccidiosis overload/outbreak. Cocci is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract and is spread by droppings which get into feed/water via droppings,but it can also be spread by bringing in new birds to your flock/your own hands/clothes/shoes/feed utensils/etc. Birds are only immune to the strains they have had prior exposure to,meaning your new girl/girls may not have been exposed to the strain your original girls had.

Some symptoms of cocci are:runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which strain it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking,general look of unwell. If any of these symptoms match,purchase Corid(amprolium)may also be called Amprol(amprolium)depends where you live.

Dose for Corid/Amprol 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 1-1.5 tsp per gallon of water. Treat ALL birds for 5-7 days,make sure medicated water is their only source of drinking water. Do not give vitamins during treatment as they interfere with the ability of coccidiostat to work,give vitamins after treatment is complete.

Corid can be found in most livestock/feed stores in the cattle section,it will say for cattle but is used safely in poultry and one of the best coccidiostats.

If you can get her to take a little buttermilk (or milk) mixed with some chick feed in an oatmeal consistancy, it may coat her intestines until you get meds in the morning. How old is she?

You might be better off just to drive the 30 miles and pick it up yourself in the morning rather then wait for shipping, unless it's due to arrive tomorrow. She's unlikely to last much longer then that without treatment. Push the buttermilk tonight and start her on meds tomorrow a.m. if there is any way possible at all. If this is indeed coccidiosis, and it sounds like it, she's already feeling pretty crummy and it progresses fast. Once they get to a certain point there is just to much damage and no saving them even with meds.

Unfortunately the place is online only, so there's no physical place to get it. I will be in town tomorrow though so I'll hop around all the local feed stores. I don't think I've ever seen Corid on their shelves, but it's worth a look.

Back
Top Bottom