Sick Royal Palm Turkey

NajmoNests

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 1, 2010
E. Central, MN
sickbyc.gif
My adult turkey hen is sick. She has been rather lathargic last couple days. Today she hasn't left the roost. I lifted her down to food and water, but she flew back up to bed. Face and feces were normal. I noticed when she flew back up, she left yellow secretion behind.
She was wormed with ivermec pour on 2 weeks ago, as were all the other poultry. Her head is not dark, all is pink and normal colored.
Hubby has been sent to feed mill for penecilian, an 18 gauge needle & proper syringe. ANY SUGGESTIONS, PLEASE?

Crop was empty. She won't eat or drink. Gave her 1/2CC penicillan IM; used turkey baster to feed boiled egg yold, electrolite/vitamin liquid.

Flagyl is supposed to work for blackhead. But why do you think it's blackhead? Because that's the 1st thing people say when they find out it's a sick turkey?
Ivomec pour on will NOT work for the majority of worms. It'll work fine for mites and lice though. Use albendazole (Valbazen) or Fenbendazole (Safeguard horse paste) for worming.

Blackhead isn't the first thing, but if there is yellow poop it can be an indicator. There does seem to be a lot of it this year... Flagyl is Metronidazole, Fishzole is the same thing. If you want to read about it, here is what is in the Merck Vet Manual: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/203000.htm

Blackhead
(Histomoniasis) doesn't cause the head to turn black, it does affect the liver. Pretty much anything affecting the liver will cause yellow feces. If she is starting yellow poop, I would treat with Metronidazole and follow it up with a good worming and start a regular worming cycle. I don't know if it's the weather or what, but there does seem to be a lot of Blackhead this year (suspected and confirmed).

Sulmet is for coccidia and some respiratory problems. Don't just arbitrarily give whatever you happen to have on hand because your bird is sick with questionable symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom