Silkie Roo Coccidia, Mareks? Something else? What can I do?

creative14215

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 27, 2012

This looks like a lot of explanation but I followed the rules of ?'s...NEWBIE Alert!
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)-
Silkie Roo, age 8mo, doesn't seem lighter or thinner
2) What is the behavior, exactly.- noticed limp a few days ago, will not grasp finger if placed on pad of foot, foot is turned out not under him, unsteady on legs, walking on knee joint on one side, head mostly down, sort of schrunched up into a ball most of the day, sleeping soundly, tail feathers down, wings-not spreading them out much or trying to fly when picked up, not roosting, laying on floor, eating some, not drinking much, tried to force feed liquid in syringe couldn't get him to open beak, doesn't crow often but not crowing at all, yellowish coloring on feet/legs, thought it was dirty but it didn't come off
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?- I noticed the limp about a week ago, brought him inside, cleaned him up, didn't notice anything on the foot that could cause limp,seemed to be drinking and eating a little, after a few days he was getting around slowly so I put him back outside
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?he's been in with a silkie hen since we got him at 4 weeks. She is not exhibiting any of these symptoms, they both have been separated from the flock since we got them
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.he was fine one day and not the next, did not notice any warning signs but this is our first flock
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. I think my husband may have given him layer feed not knowing it wasn't good for him, he is now on grower/finisher but layer is in with them for the hen.We have given them oatmeal as a treat but he's not crazy about it.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.I had both silkies in the house, wasn't sure which was doing it but one had watery green poop, the other had some watery then some formed green/white poop. Today his poop looked formed.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Separated him from the other silkie, brought him in the house, bathed and dried him, thoroughly cleaned his foot, tried some vetericyn on a spot I thought might be something, tried feeding him nutra drench but couldn't get him to open beak, put it in the water instead but he won't drink it, also looked at vent, not exactly sure what I'm looking for or at, it looked greyish blue, almost couldn't find it in his fluffy feathers, checked breathing-appears quiet and fine, eyes do not look cloudy, wing may be a bit droopy
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?We do not have a vet here for chickens so I have to treat at home.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use- he is in an extra large wire crate with a rubber bottom covered in wood shavings. Every time we tried to put them in the coop with the others over the summer they would attack the silkies. Right now we have towels in the crate so its warmer and softer.

Other ?'s- if it is Marek's I have no idea how he would get it unless he came to us with it, he hasn't been out free ranging in months, doesn't seem to like to do it. The other chicken with him seems fine.

Also, is it safe to eat the eggs from the hen that has been with him?

If it is one of these there is no way I could cull him, how long before it would overtake him?

I adore this guy, please tell me if I can help him somehow, this is so hard when they're not well. These are our pets! Thank you in advance for any advice you could give.So nice to have this community to turn to for us newbies.

I lost a roo a few months ago with very similar problem. No one, not even a vet could tell me what was wrong. I dont know if you can tell by the pic but his left leg is paralyzed.
Now my new roo is doing something similar but both feet are in front of him and he can move them. He tested negative for coccida and worms and any other thing that could be in his poo.
This is so hard because no one seems to know what it could be. I have three hens that have been with booth roosters and they are all fine. So I dont know how it could be Merricks. All came from the same breeder and none were vaccinated for Merricks. I found a thread on Colloidal Silver on here so I started him on it today. I figured I have nothing to loose cause if it is the same thing I do not want this guy to suffer. The first lived for probably a month untill his neck was paralyzed ( I think he hit it on the coop trying to move around) and because he was rocked forward sitting on his chest because of his leg when he hurt his neck he was then sitting on his head and had gotten so skinny I could feel all his bones, so a had a neighbor cull him for me. This guy is sitting back on his butt and other than having poo stuck to him he seems pretty content. He does rock to one side or the other every now and then and I have his feed and water (which I have to change 4 times a day or more cause it gets dirty) sitting right in front of him and next to him. I wish I could help you more! It is very frustrating because no one knows what to do. I have posted two questions on this forum and have not been answered yet. I never got any input on my other roo either. Its hard and frustrating but at least I know its not worms, or coccidia now. Good luck with your bird!

Oh and sorry to tell you Mater my first Roo had to be culled because no matter how skinny he was or how bad he got his heart and breathing would not stop or even struggle. He was fine. I just couldnt see him like that anymore because I knew he was suffering. So when went to work my husband had my neighbor come over. That was the best because I was gone. I hope your guy doesnt go through that and gets better for you. If he does please let me know what you did!!!

Wanted to add what Peter Brown "The Chicken Doctor Wrote to me today. Maybe this will help you.

Heather:

Most likely Mareks from the presentation of the legs. Cocci is generally a slow death. I have no experience with the colloidal silver.

Unfortunately this bird will most likely not survive.

Try the following:

1 Bayer Brand Baby Aspirin orally 4 times per day.

Get some Turmeric Tablets or Capsules from the Health Food Store. You will want the ones that contain Bioperine. Get as close to 1000 mg per tablet total Turmeric and Bioperine and give 1 tablet 4 times per day.

Keep the bird Hydrated and eating as best that you can. Tube feed him if necessary.

Keep me posted.

Doc

Then I asked him if Mericks Kills them fast or Slow.

Usually very slow. Usually in and of itself Mareks is not lethal but they die from starvation through loss of appetite.

Keep in mind that there are many symptoms of Mareks you do not have to have all of them for the bird to have the disease.

Sitting on the breast with both legs extended out front or laying on either side of the breast with both legs out or with one leg forward and one leg going back are all classic symptoms of Mareks. Droopy wings will only happen if those nerves and muscles that control the wings are affected. Cocci also causes droopy wings.

The Roos might be Genetically more susceptible to the disease than the Hens are hard to tell but the evidence points in that direction.

Doc

Back
Top Bottom