Silkie satin frizzle breeding

Melz-chicks

Hatching
Sep 22, 2024
Ive owned chickens for years and have most experience with Cochins. I am switching it up and now currently have a silkie satin frizzle roo and a silver laced satin silkie hen. Would their chicks produce the same?
Also have a white silkie hen, black naked neck frizzle silkie hen and a brown showgirl hen.
What would the outcomes be of breeding them with the frizzle satin silkie roo?

The frizzle feather type shouldn't be bred together. When they do, some find about 50% of the offspring will have heart problems, shorter lives, and horrible feathers. Frizzle is a dominant gene.

I would try to come up with another non-frizzled roo as breeding them together is taking a huge chance for disappointment.

I'm not sure about the NN or satin percentages as I am done with breeding those, but I'm guessing I saw about 1/2 of satin silkie to regular silkie wound up satin, and about 1/3 for the showgirls. One frizzle chicken with another non-frizzle will come out to about 1/2 or so of the chicks being frizzle.

The frizzle feather type shouldn't be bred together. When they do, some find about 50% of the offspring will have heart problems, shorter lives, and horrible feathers. Frizzle is a dominant gene.

I would try to come up with another non-frizzled roo as breeding them together is taking a huge chance for disappointment.

I'm not sure about the NN or satin percentages as I am done with breeding those, but I'm guessing I saw about 1/2 of satin silkie to regular silkie wound up satin, and about 1/3 for the showgirls. One frizzle chicken with another non-frizzle will come out to about 1/2 or so of the chicks being frizzle.
I only have the one frizzled hen, she isn’t laying yet. Sounds like I won’t be breeding her to this roo now! Thank you for the info!

You'd have to explain to me what all these terms mean for me to answer.
A frizzle to non frizzle would average 50/50 fizzled and non frizzled.
Non NN to a NN results would depend if the NN has one or two NN genes.
Showgirl usually refers to single gene while stripper is double gene.
On non silkies sometimes single gene is called bowtie. Single gene has a patch of feathers on lower neck. Double gene has no feathers on neck.
The whole satin silkie thing needs clarification as to if they carry a silkied feather gene or not.

Back
Top Bottom