Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 799 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 97 11.7%

• Total voters
Hi are you on now? I just posted my big problem with my silkies in lockdown on day 2 is there anyway you can read it and possibly help me? I going on 2 days no sleep. I am so desperate and scared for them. We have been through hell in just so days and I haven’t shrunk them yet. Humidity is currently around 70% having problem keeping it there and thought I’ve drowned them already when was at 80% from using shower humidity to raise it. Omg omg idk what to do AT ALL . IS ANYONE THERE? Has anyone seen my other post with more detail? Please respond anyone.
It's best to keep your humidity around 65-75%. I've hatched chicks with the humidity at 80% which may lead to sticky chicks, or drowned chicks.

Hey where's your post? I will have a look
Hi thank you now I’ve been up all night and have a bigger problem the air sacs are cracked open from lid (don’t see Silkie damage) what do I do put in regular incubator with lower humidity? This is killing me. I have 10 “show girls” and there so close to home and I’m just messing everything.its ripping my heart out!!!!! Can you help or advise the best? Do you have time? Could we talk? I don’t know what or who to ask but times running out......

Hi thank you now I’ve been up all night and have a bigger problem the air sacs are cracked open from lid (don’t see Silkie damage) what do I do put in regular incubator with lower humidity? This is killing me. I have 10 “show girls” and there so close to home and I’m just messing everything.its ripping my heart out!!!!! Can you help or advise the best? Do you have time? Could we talk? I don’t know what or who to ask but times running out......
I just thought of another fun silkie breeding project. Breeding Silkies, & Sumatras for a new fancier variety of Silkie.
Hi have you read my message yet? I have 5 half in egg only one has beak out rest are still under membrane....

Hey where's your post? I will have a look
hi have you read my messages yet? I currently have 5 babies exposed air sac gone but only one has beak a little through membrane I can’t tell if yolk is gone... thinks is heart breaking I don’t think I’m ever going to hatch again. All is great until lockdown!!! I need so badly to talk to someone. I just want to go to sleep until it’s over because Whatever i seem to do makes matters worse. Their silkies so I thought maybe good chance yolk gone to help them out but too afraid. I don’t even know if I should cover them or leave them and humidity is obviously risen since, it’s at 75%!!! Can you help or guide?

hi have you read my messages yet? I currently have 5 babies exposed air sac gone but only one has beak a little through membrane I can’t tell if yolk is gone... thinks is heart breaking I don’t think I’m ever going to hatch again. All is great until lockdown!!! I need so badly to talk to someone. I just want to go to sleep until it’s over because Whatever i seem to do makes matters worse. Their silkies so I thought maybe good chance yolk gone to help them out but too afraid. I don’t even know if I should cover them or leave them and humidity is obviously risen since, it’s at 75%!!! Can you help or guide?

I haven't read your thread yet but will do so, here is a really good article on assisting, it should help you know some of the signs when the baby is or isn't ready to be helped out of the egg yet. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

I read your other message, I don't think lockdown humidity was at a lethal level unless there wasn't enough ventilation. I keep my vent all the way open when hatching and like to aim for around 70% - 75% humidity but it's gotten up to 85% briefly without any adverse affects. Humidity during the first 18 days is more likely to affect whether they have a difficult time hatching at this point since it sounds like the humidity during lockdown wasn't too high or low. Please feel free to message me if you have questions about assisting, I've had to go through assisting quite a few times with my shipped eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom