Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 799 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 97 11.7%

• Total voters
Guess what!!!! Not only did Bella my blue silkie lay her FIRST egg today, but miss Daisy the D'uccle was sounding very not happy. So Nala my pretty silkie went in w her and they both laid eggs together!!! I actually watched Nala drop hers, then she scooted hers, Daisy's, and the ceramic eggs underneath herself perfectly!!! 🥰

So all 4 of my girls are officially laying!! So happy!! 2 @ 22 weeks and 2 @ 24 weeks!!
Guess what!!!! Not only did Bella my blue silkie lay her FIRST egg today, but miss Daisy the D'uccle was sounding very not happy. So Nala my pretty silkie went in w her and they both laid eggs together!!! I actually watched Nala drop hers, then she scooted hers, Daisy's, and the ceramic eggs underneath herself perfectly!!! 🥰

So all 4 of my girls are officially laying!! So happy!! 2 @ 22 weeks and 2 @ 24 weeks!!
Congratulations! 🥰 Photos of the eggs if you are so inclined.😊

None of those are true, except the dust mop part. But they are adorable dust mops!
Yes adorable fluffy crest however impractical at times.... My Chickaletta, 5.5 yr old, is super smart - pulled very long grass straight out my pullets mouth saving her! And shes never had any health problems at all! She's very switched on and knows what's going on. She's the Queen mumma in the flock and I hope all her offspring will be like her! They learn from the best and she doesn't give them up till at least 4 months old.

Congratulations! 🥰 Photos of the eggs if you are so inclined.😊
I was going to take one from inside the coop, but Nala swept them all up underneath herself 😆
Here they are on thr holder.. the top two are Bella and Daisy's FIRST eggs! You can see the one to the top left is extra shiny! Daisy had a tad bit of blood, poor baby girl.
The two immediately below those are today's eggs from Minnie and Nala.. the D'Uccle eggs are a little narrower than the silkie eggs, but about the same length and color. So super happy!!
20201016_150826.jpg

Okay, I will! I am giving him a little break at the moment cause he was getting jumpy. I also find it was that he was always kept inside. But he lived a very well cared for life!

What a handsome rooster! I love his crest!

Speaking of trimming, there are no BYC articles on trimming silkie crests. Is anybody going to make one? I will if nobody else wants to, but I don't have many pictures. As a bribe, the current article contest is open for six more days ;)
That's my pullet Boof, not rooster ;) here's pic of my cockerel Cookie and Boof laying while he's keeping an eye on her. -hes very good looking after her since she can't see well with that fluff.
IMG20201001110505.jpg

Okay, I will! I am giving him a little break at the moment cause he was getting jumpy. I also find it was that he was always kept inside. But he lived a very well cared for life!

What a handsome rooster! I love his crest!

Speaking of trimming, there are no BYC articles on trimming silkie crests. Is anybody going to make one? I will if nobody else wants to, but I don't have many pictures. As a bribe, the current article contest is open for six more days ;)
Pic of Cookie my cockerel who I thought was a pullet till I trimmed his crest and saw she was a he!!
IMG20200710104716.jpg
IMG20200710105429.jpg

Pic of Cookie my cockerel who I thought was a pullet till I trimmed his crest and saw she was a he!!
View attachment 2375773
View attachment 2375780
Cookie is sooooo beautiful!! I swear, the wondering was literally driving me insane, i had to pay for DNA testing 😄 If the test hadn't told me otherwise, i still would be thinking Bella was a boy, well until she started squatting a couple weeks ago.

Do yours wear nappies? I saw this pic online! .. Solves the poop problem I guess!
View attachment 2375795
Interestingly, the D'uccles don't poop on my sofa.. they immediately scratch and then lay down and fall asleep.. i guess they think its a nest!! But yes, if they are out extended time i have chicken diapers for them :) i do need to get some for the silkies too.. or make them.

These pics are from a couple months ago, so their combs have grown in since then. But it really is the funniest thing that they fall asleep instantly.
20200828_150240.jpg
20200816_155231.jpg
20200803_100717.jpg

Back
Top Bottom