Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 799 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 97 11.7%

• Total voters
I have a broody sitting on 5 eggs in the main coop/ communal nest box, question is, do I allow her to hatch eggs there?.. Because I have 7 chicks and a hen in my broody coop I can't move her separate.
Box is about 10cm off the coop floor, I could make steps to the box so they can get back up if they fall out? But have nowhere to put food and water because the roosts are right in front of boxes.. See pic..
If all chicks hatch on the same day, will mumma hen lead babies out of coop to food and water?.. But then that's another obstacle if chicks fall out of elevated coop.. Hmm.. Maybe I should try to put a flat piece of timber over the roosts or something, any ideas?
IMG20201231101839.jpg
IMG20201231101955.jpg

I think most hens stay put for 48hrs of so after hatching, but every hen is probably different. I would think about putting a board down over the roosts as you suggested and maybe even trying to somehow make a littler contained area around the next box with hardware cloth/small wire for the first couple of days. After that I would think that the hen will leave the nest with the chicks and protect them on the floor of the coop so you shouldn't have as many problems then.

I think most hens stay put for 48hrs of so after hatching, but every hen is probably different. I would think about putting a board down over the roosts as you suggested and maybe even trying to somehow make a littler contained area around the next box with hardware cloth/small wire for the first couple of days. After that I would think that the hen will leave the nest with the chicks and protect them on the floor of the coop so you shouldn't have as many problems then.
Thanks for your reply. It seems a bit of work to get her sorted out in that nest spot, so I might see how she goes with the hatch (it's her first time I have allowed her to sit) and if she sticks it out till the hatch I could move the other hen and her 7 chicks (now 6wks old) to the main coop.

I have 2 chicks (now 6week old) that have different colours, sort of creamy colour, grey, orange on wings and head. I think one is a cockerel so may have to sell him but I do like the different colours so
I might keep him.. Do you think this chick would turn out really nice looking? (sorry hard to see clear in pics)
Also a grey one with speckles on its wings
... I have 2 boys already but the chicks are just so gorgeous Im finding it hard to list them for sale!.. So I need excuses to keep them :lau
IMG20210101104119~2.jpg
IMG20210101104015.jpg
IMG20210101103937.jpg

IMG20210101104232.jpg
IMG20210101103206.jpg

I have 2 chicks (now 6week old) that have different colours, sort of creamy colour, grey, orange on wings and head. I think one is a cockerel so may have to sell him but I do like the different colours so
I might keep him.. Do you think this chick would turn out really nice looking? (sorry hard to see clear in pics)
Also a grey one with speckles on its wings
... I have 2 boys already but the chicks are just so gorgeous Im finding it hard to list them for sale!.. So I need excuses to keep them :lau
What color did they come from?

Back
Top Bottom