Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 799 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 97 11.7%

• Total voters
OK, I have a question for you Silkie owners. I am thinking about building a new coop just for my Silkies (currently incubating). I know the nesting box has to be low to the ground. I thought about using old kitty litter tubs to make nesting boxes. Like this...

View attachment 2537874

Would Silkies use this?

Also, since Silkies sleep on the ground, what kind of coop litter/bedding do you use? I use a sand/screenings mixture in my regular coop which works wonderfully but those birds don't sleep on the floor! Is anyone using sand bedding with their Silkies?

I've actually tried to get my silkie girls to lay in one of those kitty litter containers. I think it depends on the individual silkie if they'll take to it or not. I had it set up in the corner of the coop and a couple of my girls laid in it but most preferred laying next to it. I'm not sure if this was because they felt a little cramped in there or if they didn't like the hay I lined it with. :rolleyes:

I've used both pine shavings and pine pellet bedding without any issues. I don't have any experience with sand though.

OK, I have a question for you Silkie owners. I am thinking about building a new coop just for my Silkies (currently incubating). I know the nesting box has to be low to the ground. I thought about using old kitty litter tubs to make nesting boxes. Like this...

View attachment 2537874

Would Silkies use this?

Also, since Silkies sleep on the ground, what kind of coop litter/bedding do you use? I use a sand/screenings mixture in my regular coop which works wonderfully but those birds don't sleep on the floor! Is anyone using sand bedding with their Silkies?
I only have Silkies and mine all roost, I have a ramp but my coop is fairly low so most just jump up to the coop instead of using ramp, then jump up to roosts which are only about 10cm off the ground. The nesting boxes are off the ground too and I use straw in them... 2 broodies squished in 1 box :lol: ..
You could try putting fake eggs in your nest boxes so they get the idea where you want them to lay, when the time comes. IMG_20210126_132450.jpg

I only have Silkies and mine all roost, I have a ramp but my coop is fairly low so most just jump up to the coop instead of using ramp, then jump up to roosts which are only about 10cm off the ground. The nesting boxes are off the ground too and I use straw in them... 2 broodies squished in 1 box :lol: ..
You could try putting fake eggs in your nest boxes so they get the idea where you want them to lay, when the time comes.View attachment 2538303

My Silkies have not hatched yet. We are currently on Day 8. 😍🤞

However I did have a Silkie roo previously who was killed by a predator last summer. He would not go into our regular coop but opted to bed down in an old igloo doghouse. I've since built a new coop and even designed it with Silkies in mind and put 5 nesting boxes at ground level but that coop is at capacity. I can add these babies in a pinch but I'd rather just give them their own coop and covered run all to themselves. I have the new coop designed in my head.... I'm just trying to figure out some details such as -

1. What bedding works best for Silkies? My choices right now are Pine Shavings and Sand. I would prefer to use Sand but I'm wondering if other Silkie owners have done it and what the result was?

2. Nesting boxes - I think you answered this one for me. If I use the kitty litter tubs, they might use it or they might not. We shall see.... I bought Silkies for the sole purpose of having a broody so I thought maybe they needed a roomy box to raise chicks.

3. Roosting bars - if I put a roosting bar 4 inches off the ground, will they use it or consider it too much effort? Lol

My Silkies have not hatched yet. We are currently on Day 8. 😍🤞

However I did have a Silkie roo previously who was killed by a predator last summer. He would not go into our regular coop but opted to bed down in an old igloo doghouse. I've since built a new coop and even designed it with Silkies in mind and put 5 nesting boxes at ground level but that coop is at capacity. I can add these babies in a pinch but I'd rather just give them their own coop and covered run all to themselves. I have the new coop designed in my head.... I'm just trying to figure out some details such as -

1. What bedding works best for Silkies? My choices right now are Pine Shavings and Sand. I would prefer to use Sand but I'm wondering if other Silkie owners have done it and what the result was?

2. Nesting boxes - I think you answered this one for me. If I use the kitty litter tubs, they might use it or they might not. We shall see.... I bought Silkies for the sole purpose of having a broody so I thought maybe they needed a roomy box to raise chicks.

3. Roosting bars - if I put a roosting bar 4 inches off the ground, will they use it or consider it too much effort? Lol
It's great you can provide Silkies their own coop!
I think they would use the roosting bars but as your chicks are raised by you, you may need to train them to use the roosts. Mother hen would normally do that when she broods chicks herself. I personally think it's healthy for chickens to roost at night so they don't sit in their poo while they sleep.
I haven't used shavings or sand in a coop (only sand in dustbath) but for nesting boxes I would think shavings would be better so they can kick it around to create their nest spot. Sand might work well for the coop /under roosts for ease of cleaning from what I have heard. Really I think they will be fine with whatever you use, same as your other chickens?

It's great you can provide Silkies their own coop!
I think they would use the roosting bars but as your chicks are raised by you, you may need to train them to use the roosts. Mother hen would normally do that when she broods chicks herself. I personally think it's healthy for chickens to roost at night so they don't sit in their poo while they sleep.
I haven't used shavings or sand in a coop (only sand in dustbath) but for nesting boxes I would think shavings would be better so they can kick it around to create their nest spot. Sand might work well for the coop /under roosts for ease of cleaning from what I have heard. Really I think they will be fine with whatever you use, same as your other chickens?

Thank you! I probably should have clarified that the nesting boxes will have straw in them. I could also use shavings too... The sand would only be used outside of the nesting boxes. Here's a drawing of what I'm thinking about... Of course, if I add the roosts, I would need to shift the nesting boxes down 6" so they don't interfere with access. The coop will be built upon pallets covered by plywood. Plywood will be painted with an epoxy floor paint. The entire coop is 6' x 8' which includes a 3' covered porch.

Screenshot_20210220-200553_AutoCAD.jpg

Thank you! I probably should have clarified that the nesting boxes will have straw in them. I could also use shavings too... The sand would only be used outside of the nesting boxes. Here's a drawing of what I'm thinking about... Of course, if I add the roosts, I would need to shift the nesting boxes down 6" so they don't interfere with access. The coop will be built upon pallets covered by plywood. Plywood will be painted with an epoxy floor paint. The entire coop is 6' x 8' which includes a 3' covered porch.

View attachment 2538793
Ohhh! I like the covered porch! Sounds very fancy :love
Do you use sand in your other chicken coop? So you know then if you like to use it?
Silkies won't have a problem using sand, they probably would love it!
Adding roosts would be a good idea in my opinion. Will your nest boxes be ground level? Since you plan on raising chicks with a broody you may as well prepare for that and have at least one nest ground level for easy access for chicks to get in and out, and maybe if you use that one on the end for a broody then you could have enough room to separate it with a little fenced area (when you have a broody) so she can brood in peace without others trying to lay eggs on top of her?
Roosts would be good to have a little higher then your nest boxes so it doesn't encourage them to sleep in the boxes at night time.

Ohhh! I like the covered porch! Sounds very fancy :love
Do you use sand in your other chicken coop? So you know then if you like to use it?
Silkies won't have a problem using sand, they probably would love it!
Adding roosts would be a good idea in my opinion. Will your nest boxes be ground level? Since you plan on raising chicks with a broody you may as well prepare for that and have at least one nest ground level for easy access for chicks to get in and out, and maybe if you use that one on the end for a broody then you could have enough room to separate it with a little fenced area (when you have a broody) so she can brood in peace without others trying to lay eggs on top of her?
Roosts would be good to have a little higher then your nest boxes so it doesn't encourage them to sleep in the boxes at night time.

Yes, I use sand in my coop currently. I like it because it absorps the moisture in the poop, along with any smell. I live in the South so it is warm half of the year. This means FLY SEASON! Using sand TREMENDOUSLY cuts down on the flies... It is also super easy to clean and cheaper in the long run than shavings.

Yes, the nesting boxes will be at ground level in the coop. Here's an example -
IMG_0932.JPG

I didn't think about fencing off some space for the broody. That changes things a little. Going back inside my drawing tool to make some changes... In the meantime, this is the front and side elevation of the coop I have in mind.
Screenshot_20210220-223225_AutoCAD.jpg

OK, based upon your suggestions, I changed the design to include 2 broody boxes that can be enclosed, if needed. I am also including a roost. If I make the roost higher than the nesting boxes (which are at ground level), I'm assuming that means they would need a ramp to reach them? I was going to put the roosts about 6 inches above the floor so they could just hop up?

Screenshot_20210220-231334_AutoCAD.jpg

Back
Top Bottom