Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 799 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 97 11.7%

• Total voters
Your roo is really pretty 😍 he looks freshly bathed!

Thanks.

It's the lighting. He's just knocked most of the dirt off and there isn't as much mud available in his pen now. He never was one to rub his face in it, unlike some hens I have. I give scratch and he's gold based not silver like a proper white, so he actually has some yellowing in his feathers.

He's still a sweetheart. I can pick up up just fine, unless I say his name. He'll hide if I do because I'd call him before photoshoots. He doesn't want to be a model anymore.

i have heard mixxed things about silkie meat....... not sure im interested in finding out how black meat tastes.

makes excellent soup. I had a 6 toe roo so I decided to try meat. it happened about 5 years ago. not sure if I could eat another one or at least these 5 (+ 2 juveniles) are out of question.

My pretty Barney has moved on to more spacious pastures, with acreage and 6 ladies all to himself. He can free range during the day and coop sleep at night. He's going with kids too, which he does well with, and what i was hoping for him.

The girls should be more relaxed now, and I'll be able to sleep in! Plus i don't have to close up the coop at night to keep out light anymore. Helpful w the summer heat.

View attachment 3136431View attachment 3136432View attachment 3136433View attachment 3136434
He sure is a beautiful boy!! 😍😍

Rubber water bowls from the feed store work great.

Not too expensive either. I use buckets with self refilling cups for actual water in summer. The rubber bowls work great in winter as I can stomp ice out. In summer it's just alternate water. My silkies won't stand in it. Some of the large fowl love to, though. My 11 year old EE spent all of last summer standing in one in the shade. Probably why she made it through. I had to change all water twice a day.

Rubber water bowls from the feed store work great.

Not too expensive either. I use buckets with self refilling cups for actual water in summer. The rubber bowls work great in winter as I can stomp ice out. In summer it's just alternate water. My silkies won't stand in it. Some of the large fowl love to, though. My 11 year old EE spent all of last summer standing in one in the shade. Probably why she made it through. I had to change all water twice a day.
I just soaked the run sand.. they ran from it, then ran back! Uncovered lots of goodies and cooled things off. And!! I let Elsa out of the mini coop! She's busy dust bathing and hasn't tried to attack anyone!. The little silkie ran up, stared at her, then ran away 😆

mine walk around wiht their mouths open sometimes.... they got water and access to shade outside in side a run.... but i guess we have had 4 hot days this eyar and they all acted silly.
Mine have shade too... but theyre former spoiled house chickens 🏡🐣

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom