Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 799 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 97 11.7%

• Total voters
Well hum....idk then
But I still luv her! But having to separate her from the roos won't be easy.
Unfortunately that's why I culled my couple of crossbeaks early on, I only have 1 big coop and so I've sold or culled any I don't want to use for breeding - red comb, crossbeaks, colours, behavior etc.
Since her beak isn't bad you could sell her as a pet? Or if you have the space separate her in another coop with a friend/ rooster buddy? (That's what I had done with a few of mine till I decided to just run 1 coop)

I think in my opinion, that silkie eggs do taste the best! I like making fried eggs from my silkie eggs because they taste so good!
Do any of you use Silkie eggs for baking? I find it's difficult to estimate how many eggs to substitute for recipe normal large eggs 🤔 some of my cakes work well and others still edible, but not quite right 😂

Do any of you use Silkie eggs for baking? I find it's difficult to estimate how many eggs to substitute for recipe normal large eggs 🤔 some of my cakes work well and others still edible, but not quite right 😂
My Silkies lay pretty good sized eggs, close to 40 g. My standard hens eggs weigh about 60 to 70 g. I normally use 3 Silkie eggs to every 2 “normal” sized eggs. So for example if a recipe calls for 2 eggs, I use 3 Silkie eggs. If it calls for 3, then I use 5.😊

My Silkies lay pretty good sized eggs, close to 40 g. My standard hens eggs weigh about 60 to 70 g. I normally use 3 Silkie eggs to every 2 “normal” sized eggs. So for example if a recipe calls for 2 eggs, I use 3 Silkie eggs. If it calls for 3, then I use 5.😊

my (LF) silkies lay about 45-50 g eggs.

the expected roo will not arrive today. the guy got sick and could not ship him. it doesn't matter as only 1 hen is laying at the moment.

F53E8EC9-BA95-4658-872B-D0DD40522F54.jpeg

Happy Spring Peeps! ♥️🌼♥️🌼♥️🌼♥️🌼
(I no longer sell birds. Just watermarking my pic)

Well...the 2 paints got new names since they'll be staying here ( I don't care for starwars names that daughter n fam gave em...lol).
So little dude is Jackie Chan cuz he jumps his entire body up and on top of the 5 month old satins! Cracks me up!
And was gonna name little girl Betty White but not feeling it so gonna go with Gracie since I'm hoping she N Grayson will make some beautiful babies!!!
Gonna be a while though!

My big hatch finished last night. Lots of vaulted babies and it did not go smoothly as a lot of the babies were malpositioned so there was a lot of helping involved. I think I got lucky that only 4 of the 37 didn't make it. I wouldn't say the rest are out of the woods yet but most are looking pretty good.

It's really hard to resist a lot of these babies but as they were for a friend I'm trying really hard not to take too many. 😅😂

These are the two that surprised me that I think I'll keep. A little mottled I wasn't expecting (I'm super excited as I didn't get any with this much white/yellow down when I was actually trying to hatch mottled). And what I'm hoping might be a splash (I didn't end up getting any splash from the hatch I was trying to get some from either). The little mottled is an Nn like dad. She/he has a single comb but I don't mind too much. The little (maybe) splash has 6 toes on each foot but I'm still excited anyhow. I'm hoping the maybe splash baby inherits some of the red dad has and turns out somewhat splash calico like. :fl

Mottled and splash babies.jpg

This is mom and dad to the maybe splash baby. Dad is partridge with a lot of red (who I guess must also be blue based if the baby is splash) and mom is a dark blue (with a tiny bit of gold leakage on her neck). The baby could be a really light downed blue too. If I didn't know who the parents were I would suspect a silver based recessive white as well but since both parents are gold based I don't think that is possible.

pair.jpg

And here are a couple (poor) group shots of the other babies that hatched. 😂

Chicks.jpg

chicks 2.jpg

I do but I'm pretty amateur at baking so I pick easy recipes that I think are tricky to mess up. 😂

I kind of wing it but generally treat it like one silkie egg = about 2/3rds of a regular large egg.

View attachment 3055801
Happy Spring Peeps! ♥️🌼♥️🌼♥️🌼♥️🌼
(I no longer sell birds. Just watermarking my pic)

Happy Spring! Awww what a beautiful little paint! ❤️

Well...the 2 paints got new names since they'll be staying here ( I don't care for starwars names that daughter n fam gave em...lol).
So little dude is Jackie Chan cuz he jumps his entire body up and on top of the 5 month old satins! Cracks me up!
And was gonna name little girl Betty White but not feeling it so gonna go with Gracie since I'm hoping she N Grayson will make some beautiful babies!!!
Gonna be a while though!

Love the names! I can't wait to see the babies little Gracie and Grayson have when Gracie is old enough! 🥰

Attachments

• chicks 3.jpg
    chicks 3.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 1
My big hatch finished last night. Lots of vaulted babies and it did not go smoothly as a lot of the babies were malpositioned so there was a lot of helping involved. I think I got lucky that only 4 of the 37 didn't make it. I wouldn't say the rest are out of the woods yet but most are looking pretty good.

It's really hard to resist a lot of these babies but as they were for a friend I'm trying really hard not to take too many. 😅😂

These are the two that surprised me that I think I'll keep. A little mottled I wasn't expecting (I'm super excited as I didn't get any with this much white/yellow down when I was actually trying to hatch mottled). And what I'm hoping might be a splash (I didn't end up getting any splash from the hatch I was trying to get some from either). The little mottled is an Nn like dad. She/he has a single comb but I don't mind too much. The little (maybe) splash has 6 toes on each foot but I'm still excited anyhow. I'm hoping the maybe splash baby inherits some of the red dad has and turns out somewhat splash calico like. :fl

View attachment 3056883

This is mom and dad to the maybe splash baby. Dad is partridge with a lot of red (who I guess must also be blue based if the baby is splash) and mom is a dark blue (with a tiny bit of gold leakage on her neck). The baby could be a really light downed blue too. If I didn't know who the parents were I would suspect a silver based recessive white as well but since both parents are gold based I don't think that is possible.

View attachment 3056896

And here are a couple (poor) group shots of the other babies that hatched. 😂

View attachment 3056897
View attachment 3056898

I do but I'm pretty amateur at baking so I pick easy recipes that I think are tricky to mess up. 😂

I kind of wing it but generally treat it like one silkie egg = about 2/3rds of a regular large egg.

Happy Spring! Awww what a beautiful little paint! ❤️

Love the names! I can't wait to see the babies little Gracie and Grayson have when Gracie is old enough! 🥰
Wow that's an awesome hatch you had! Good thing you were able to be hands on and help em too! Hopefully they will continue to all do well!
Those 2 are adorable! The little poof on the mottled head is so cute and to be a Nn too!

Back
Top Bottom