Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 799 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 97 11.7%

• Total voters
Well I was a thunkin' if I crossed my EE with the Beilefelder the offspring would have larger eggses. My little Beilefelder hen lays the HUGEST eggs. Not so the crosses. I expected gen 3 with the silkie cross to lay smaller eggs of course and voila! Puff lays darker eggs than mom thought.

And Thanks! Granny is still kicking butt in her flock!
I luv the "trial and error" that comes along with raising lil babies!
My only concern is that I can't keep em all!!!
I wonder as I let Joey entertain the cochins in the future if I will be able to sell them or will I be stuck?! Will Bluey and the d'uccles babies some day be too cute for me to part with...or will they become a "gotta have em" to the chicken folks in my area?!
Only time will tell...but I gotta put the brakes on this chicken math!

I luv the "trial and error" that comes along with raising lil babies!
My only concern is that I can't keep em all!!!
I wonder as I let Joey entertain the cochins in the future if I will be able to sell them or will I be stuck?! Will Bluey and the d'uccles babies some day be too cute for me to part with...or will they become a "gotta have em" to the chicken folks in my area?!
Only time will tell...but I gotta put the brakes on this chicken math!
Your profile pic is so adorable!

It definitely sounds horrid!!!
We sat down to eat and my DH said do u hear that!? One of them is getting killed by the other or something in the run!!!
Checked camera and it's Joey sending lil Bluey to the coop! Then Daisy and Lizzy go running and bump into everything they go past!
I mean poor Daisy is so bad she screams if a fly lands on her!!!
Oh my babies!!!

On another note how many of yall have other breeds!?
I'm so excited I just got 2 baby lil bantam cochins!!!
So that makes me have...let's see
Satins
Silkies
D'uccles
Cochin!!!

I'm not counting em all though! 🤪
I try to keep my numbers less than 20.
I have 2 coops in an average sized backyard.
In the large coop I currently have:
8 Silkies
2 Silkie mixes
1 Shetland Hen
1 Bantam Cochin
1 Silverudd/EE mix
(I am not counting the 11 hatchlings that are sold but not ready to go to new homes yet)

Small coop I currently have:
1 leghorn/RSL cross
1 Partridge Olive Egger
1 Polish
1 BCM

Some of the “bantam” flock.😊
400E9D20-D918-4ACC-B934-2D10824F5117.jpeg

Hatched probably around 2pm today. Poor thing has spraddle leg.
VideoCapture_20220717-204619.jpg

This is a fairly easy fix. Make a homemade chick hobble or buy a pack of them. I've done both before. Need to put it on as early as possible. This chick may only need a day wearing it because it's only a few hours old.

VideoCapture_20220717-204512.jpg

Chick has legs together as they should be. They can't slide out so it can actually stand.

Screenshot_20220717-205438_Gallery.jpg

@LynnaePB you always put so much into your posts back to us! Thank you so much for that extra time and effort! I'm not sure I will ever understand much less grasp the genetics stuff...but I sure admire you that do!
Would love to see some of YOUR pretty babies when you get time! Do you still have your house babies as well? I remember when I had the lil baby with the slipped tendon we had talked bout your house baby! Just wondered how they were.

Oh thank you! I grabbed some pictures of some of my youngsters today and am happy to share. ☺️ Little Stumpy eventually went outside with a pullet group. I feel conflicted when it comes to him and kind of go back and forth on if putting him down or not is kinder. His growth is clearly stunted but he tries so hard. He can get around well enough to get to the food and water without issues but keeping him clean is a challenge since he pretty much just scoots around. I couldn't tell for ages what sex he was but he finally got streamers so I'm pretty sure he is a he.

Here he is resting by the feeder (excuse the egg, the younger girls tend to lay in odd places).

Stumpy.jpg

Here are my two grow outs with the best spots. The older one is already laying and the younger one is quite a bit younger and just starting to fill in. They have the same dad who seems to throw some nice spots.

Big spotted girl.jpg

Big spotted baby.jpg

Here are a couple of my favorite older cockerels. Funny enough they both are not anywhere near good quality when it comes to pigment, comb type, and color but I can't help loving their type and floof the little fluffballs.

This picture makes this paint boy look like he is more white than in reality....the second picture with the flash shows how he has tons of khaki off color. (Excuse his very dirty beard). 😂

Fluffball.jpg

Puffball boy with flash.jpg

This guy is a sort of gray/silver partridge but with tons of red leakage......no wonder I'm having so much trouble with my paint boys off color when a boy with that much red is popping out of the paint pen. 😂

Silver boy with red.jpg

Here are some of my generation 1 splash calico project babies.

The first and oldest I posted recently but the picture was not up to date.

Dark splash.jpg

Not at all calico like at this point but the hackles are getting some gold/orange color in. Being so young still I'm hopeful more will continue to come in.

Leakage.jpg

And the two younger siblings

Little splash.jpg

Little splash 2.jpg

Here are the little project mille split satins. They are starting to fill in but have a ways to go yet.

The boys
Millle split boy light.jpg

Mille split boy dark.jpg

The girls
Mille split girl light.jpg

Mille split girl dark.jpg

My little surprise mauve girl (surprised my breeder friend who hatched her too, mom was a gray and dad recessive white.....definitely was not expecting dad to carry chocolate genes). 😂 And to her left my mottled boy who is sadly losing a lot of his white in his crest. More bits of white have started showing elsewhere so it'll be fun to see where his color ends up (I'm not expecting a lot of white but I hope enough so he actually looks somewhat mottled and not just completely black).

Mauve and mottled .jpg

And lastly my two most recent additions hatched yesterday evening and today. These two are out of my red frizzle satin girl. I've got more on the way from her and I can't wait to see who inherits moms frizzle gene. ☺️

The lighter little munchkin tried coming out of the thin end of the egg and got stuck in a zip. His/her little comb area got a bit scuffed and one leg was awkwardly positioned and is still held a little further forward than the other but the baby is strong and gets around well so I think he/she will be just fine.

Red babies.jpg

My Lil Ms Puff Meister laid her first egg yesterday at 23 weeks of age. I'm so tickled.. Here's 3 generations of eggs side by side.. Grandma, Mother, and Puff - daughter/granddaughter.
Top left - Muffins: Grandmother, Top right Turtle Dove: Daughter of Muffins, Lower egg: Puff Meister, Daughter of Turtle Dove by General Lee.View attachment 3188986
Muffins:View attachment 3188988
Turtle DoveView attachment 3188990
Puff Meister now in with dad (General Lee) to solidify the partridge and add more fluffView attachment 3188992

Aww I just love seeing the different generations! They are all so beautiful! 🥰

Last edited:
Ummmm, do I really want to answer this? 🤔🤔🤔

Jersey Giant (white)
Wyandottes (gold, silver, Columbian, BLR)
Sapphire Gems
Easter Eggers
Black copper Marans
Sapphire Splash
Silkies
Barred OEGB/bantam rock, no idea how to tell the difference
Bantam Light Brahma
Mille Fleur D’Uccle
Porcelain D’Uccle
Salmon Faverolles
Polish
Sicilian Buttercup
Bantam Cochin
Whiting True Blue
Welsummer
Barnyard mix
Bielefelder
Lavender Orpington
Green Queen
Bantam Buff Brahma
Orloff
Your flock sounds awesome! I thought I had a lot hehe.

I have:
Marans
Orpingtons (English and American)
Ameraucanas
Bantam Ameraucanas
Easter Eggers
Bantam Easter Eggers
Olive Eggers
Wyandottes
d’Uccles
d’Anvers
Olandsk Dwarfs