Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 799 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 97 11.7%

• Total voters
Im lucky of I get one really good bird that could be taken to show out of 2 dozen. I don't breed the volume of birds to get a lot of them.
Thank you so much for the info. I'm looking for hatching eggs only and its been a bit hard to find anything that aren't a mix from separate color pens or they are I guess backyard silkies and are a mixed color flock.

I have 4 silkies and to be fair they are dumber than rocks

Trim the crest off and they are sneaky little things. They don't act like many other breeds.

My silkies will kill rats and small birds that get in their pens. My easter eggers and ameraucana run from rats and ignore small birds

Ponytails also make silkies happy, but they will work them out so cant just leave them. Don't need birds eating the holder

dappled_by_seerisil_dbivu1w-414w-2x.jpg

Trim the crest off and they are sneaky little things. They don't act like many other breeds.

My silkies will kill rats and small birds that get in their pens. My easter eggers and ameraucana run from rats and ignore small birds
I have Spitzhauben, Phoenix and Ameraucana that fight over voles, snakes and lizards.

Thank you so much for the info. I'm looking for hatching eggs only and its been a bit hard to find anything that aren't a mix from separate color pens or they are I guess backyard silkies and are a mixed color flock.
If you’re looking for shipped hatching eggs you can look on fb at Eddie Acres Silkies. She separates her silkies by color and the babies I’ve gotten from her are gorgeous. NPIP too. She has a few APA accepted colors like blue, black and buff but also other fancier colors like chocolate and blue creams.
It is terribly difficult buying quality hatching eggs and usually feels kinda sketchy to me with eBay or even Craigslist. We’re right there with you, the struggle is real!😂

If you’re looking for shipped hatching eggs you can look on fb at Eddie Acres Silkies. She separates her silkies by color and the babies I’ve gotten from her are gorgeous. NPIP too. She has a few APA accepted colors like blue, black and buff but also other fancier colors like chocolate and blue creams.
It is terribly difficult buying quality hatching eggs and usually feels kinda sketchy to me with eBay or even Craigslist. We’re right there with you, the struggle is real!😂

Blue cream is really close to being accepted. Changing the name to that instead of porcelain was a requirement to getting it accepted. Porcelain is an APA color that the silkies are not because they aren't mille fleur.

Chocolate has a long ways to go still, but will eventually get there.

There is an All Other Colors for any breed. This is how new color varieties are added. There are certain rules about that, though. It takes a long time to get a new color accepted.

I'd like to point out that silkies are the only breed that splash is actually an accepted color for shows. Other breeds only accept blue. Even the Andalusians where the gene originated. This is part of the reason for the trait must breed true in 50% of the offspring. Araucana are another reason for the rule. 1 copy of the tufted gene gets you the tufts. 2 copies kills the chicks in the eggs.

There is an All Other Colors for any breed. This is how new color varieties are added. There are certain rules about that, though. It takes a long time to get a new color accepted.

I'd like to point out that silkies are the only breed that splash is actually an accepted color for shows. Other breeds only accept blue. Even the Andalusians where the gene originated. This is part of the reason for the trait must breed true in 50% of the offspring. Araucana are another reason for the rule. 1 copy of the tufted gene gets you the tufts. 2 copies kills the chicks in the eggs.
Ameraucana splash was accepted last year! They are working on Ermine now.

Back
Top Bottom