Silverudd's Blue

Pics
Such cute little chicks!!
This seems to be a very slow thread lol hopefully there will be a few more reply’s. How long have you raised SB for??
Thanks! :D I hope the thread picks up, too...such a wonderful and lovely breed. And great cold weather layers!

I hatched my first SB last spring, so not long. I'd raised other breeds before, but those gorgeous eggs...I had to have some! lol

96CD37FA-CF91-4EC3-9569-0E05008E7096.jpeg
One of my roos - I ended up with four, but was able to rehome two (whew).

One of my roos - I ended up with four, but was able to rehome two (whew).[/QUOTE]
Nice, I only have 6 blue and splash babies that are just about 4 weeks. I think I might have 4 Roos and 2 pullets, hopefully I’m wrong and I have a few more pullets! I’m loving them so far, can’t wait to see how they grow up.

One of my roos - I ended up with four, but was able to rehome two (whew).
Nice, I only have 6 blue and splash babies that are just about 4 weeks. I think I might have 4 Roos and 2 pullets, hopefully I’m wrong and I have a few more pullets! I’m loving them so far, can’t wait to see how they grow up.[/QUOTE]
I hope you have more pullets, too! I actually ended up with 4 boys and 3 girls in my hatch. :rolleyes: Enjoy them while they're little - they grow so fast. :)

Hi, all! :frow Glad to see that this thread is still active.

I recently hatched a blue SB (sounds redundant, doesn't it?) from my own stock, as well as an SBxBCM --> it's a big deal for me because I just kept hatching blacks, even with blue roos over black hens. :barnie

The SB is on the left, OE/cross (also blue) on the right for comparison.

View attachment 1986806

Cute! I have my first SB this summer (2 blue pullets 1 blue roo). I am excited to hatch out my own cross with BCM and possibly Legbars this spring! The blues are so beautiful, but I love the heartiness I’ve found with crosses. Here’s my boy Rae and pullet Moon.

Does anyone have pics of their SB eggs? Excited to see what mine are like!

Attachments

• E15AD558-9E73-4A4F-83C1-D15641E16A84.jpeg
    E15AD558-9E73-4A4F-83C1-D15641E16A84.jpeg
    577 KB · Views: 12
  • 57F01D65-AA6E-477A-BA71-6F1D9FD7CD63.jpeg
    57F01D65-AA6E-477A-BA71-6F1D9FD7CD63.jpeg
    643.1 KB · Views: 12
Cute! I have my first SB this summer (2 blue pullets 1 blue roo). I am excited to hatch out my own cross with BCM and possibly Legbars this spring! The blues are so beautiful, but I love the heartiness I’ve found with crosses. Here’s my boy Rae and pullet Moon.

I just hatched 6 SB a few weeks ago, so I have a long time to wait to get my own eggs lol but here is a pic of the eggs mine hatched from- they are in the middle carton( they were prettier in person)they are second import birds. The other 2 cartons have BLACK COPPER MARANS, (with a couple cream legbar and welsommer eggs mixed in)and Bielefelder eggs
6F09D85A-F64C-47D1-8740-C483FBBEAA03.jpeg
E241EB32-B9A9-46D9-9403-591228F3E302.jpeg

Last edited:

Congrats!! Looks like you're off to a good start. :) I recently hatched SB/BCM crosses and am very pleased with them - once I saw the photos on this BYC thread, I knew I had to have some. lol

Here are some of my SB eggs. They're worth the wait!

A3A10354-E396-4EB7-905B-7FDD93074EF7.jpeg

I just hatched 6 SB a few weeks ago, so I have a long time to wait to get my own eggs lol but here is a pic of the eggs mine hatched from- they are in the middle carton( they were prettier in person)they are second import birds. The other 2 cartons have BLACK COPPER MARANS, (with a couple cream legbar and welsommer eggs mixed in)and Bielefelder eggs View attachment 1991589View attachment 1991590
Nice assortment! :highfive: Did you get a good hatch rate on the SB, and were they shipped? My original stock is from shipped eggs and I had a good hatch with one shipment, abysmal with the other (and the second shipper was much closer)...and I've had quite a bit of practice now, so I'm ruling out technique/equipment issues as potential causes on the bad hatch.

Fortunately, hatches from my own girls' eggs have gone considerably better. :D

Nice assortment! :highfive: Did you get a good hatch rate on the SB, and were they shipped? My original stock is from shipped eggs and I had a good hatch with one shipment, abysmal with the other (and the second shipper was much closer)...and I've had quite a bit of practice now, so I'm ruling out technique/equipment issues as potential causes on the bad hatch.

Fortunately, hatches from my own girls' eggs have gone considerably better. :D
Those eggs are so pretty!
I had SB eggs shipped, I got 9, 1 was clear, 1 quit around day 14, and 7 went into lockdown. 6 of those hatched, the one that didn’t we found was upside down in the egg and must have drowned at pip or something. So I had pretty good success. The Marans I hatched at the same time were 7 days in shipping and I got 1 out of 8 to hatch. And 6 Bielefelder out of 11- but they were all Roos! So I tried again with the Bielefelder and Marans. And had only 3 of 14 Bielefelder to hatch but thankfully all pullets lol so it’s really a toss up with shipped eggs I guess.
I really want to try some bcm and SB crosses when these all get old enough, and I plan to get some more SB eggs but I’d like to find some first import, I saw Alchemist farm has them again but I don’t know if California to Michigan would work for eggs or chicks

Back
Top Bottom