Single baby Duck šŸ„ŗ

Jaxx_

Chirping
May 25, 2024
Only one of my baby ducks was born, and poor baby cries for me when Iā€™m not around šŸ„ŗ any tips. Iā€™m trying to slowly introduce them to my 2 week old chicks and eventually have them ask in the same brooder together. but itā€™s slow progress

Attachments

• IMG_2781.jpeg
    IMG_2781.jpeg
    567.4 KB · Views: 5
A mirror secured in the brooder and a stuffed animal may help. They love to look at themselves.
Yep chicks can be cruel so be very careful with the intros. What about seeing if you can find another duckling close by craigslist etc. Here on BYC we have a buy sell trade forum too.

Thanks for all your suggestions! Unfortunately I canā€™t get another one, as when these chicks and the baby duck get a bit older Iā€™ll be giving them my cousin, who has a farm. (She actually gave me the eggs and I incubated them) I will try the mirror trick and stuffy.

Thanks for all your suggestions! Unfortunately I canā€™t get another one, as when these chicks and the baby duck get a bit older Iā€™ll be giving them my cousin, who has a farm. (She actually gave me the eggs and I incubated them) I will try the mirror trick and stuffy.
Does your cousin have adult ducks?

My single duckling (just now getting feathers) lived in my living room in a large clear tote. It spent most of its time in the near corner watching the fascinated dog, passing cats, and me on the couch. I did try and re- introduce it to the flock but baby kept getting separated and lost. It's out now with the flock with 2 much younger ducklings. The group of 3 babies spends their time together with older sibling being the babysitter and mom occasionally checking in on them.

No stress calls from baby during its time alone. Very little interest in its stuffie and other props.

The three ducklings (1 day, 1 week, 1 month? old) together have much better survival strategies than the lone baby crying and chasing after anything that moves and getting lost.

My single duckling (just now getting feathers) lived in my living room in a large clear tote. It spent most of its time in the near corner watching the fascinated dog, passing cats, and me on the couch. I did try and re- introduce it to the flock but baby kept getting separated and lost. It's out now with the flock with 2 much younger ducklings. The group of 3 babies spends their time together with older sibling being the babysitter and mom occasionally checking in on them.

No stress calls from baby during its time alone. Very little interest in its stuffie and other props.

The three ducklings (1 day, 1 week, 1 month? old) together have much better survival strategies than the lone baby crying and chasing after anything that moves and getting lost.
This gives me hope that heā€™ll be okay. Iā€™ve been slowly introducing him to the chicks. And soon will be with adult ducks at the farm so hoping he does okay.

Back
Top Bottom