Single gosling... Won't be quiet

Laney3535

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 22, 2014
Oregon
My neighbors have geese that decided to hatch out Little goslings. Well one of the hens left a baby behind and my neighbor found it half dead in the nest with no mother or siblings arond. They got the gosling all warmed up and tried to give it back to the Mother but it stepped on it and walked away. My neighbors decided they didn't want to deal with the gosling and brought it to me since I have more free time. I have never raised a gosling. And to top it all off it imprinted on me. It is in my brooder with a feather duster and a mirror. It can see me but it WILL NOT STOP CRYING. I have raised a single chick before that imprinted on me. But my chick slept through the night but I had to put a heatpack in an empty coffee tin and put her in the coffee tin and cover it with a paper towel to get her to sleep. Will something like that work with a gosling? There's a huge size difference. I don't have another gosling to put with it and my neighbors can't catch one. It's super cute but driving me crazy :). I don't mind but it would be nice to sleep if I can.

Get it a friend, a chick, duckling, gosling, poult, anything.
Are you sure there is a warm and cool spot in the brooder so it can find its comfort zone?

Hi i had the same problem and used a cuddly toy and hot waterbottle underneath until i managed to hatch a few more playmates out two weeks later now she is a happg gosling and doesnt boither.me at all! She definately needs a companion

I was given a single goose egg and dropped it into my incubator. It’s hatched yesterday, but it is by itself and won’t stop complaining when I leave l the room.
With no chance of a live playmate, I’ve got a toy ...

I have 9 2-year old chickens ... never raised a goose before ...

What advice can you give ?

Also .... when can you tell breed and sex?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 28
I'm not an expert but dealt with the problem before. I put the cuddle pillow below in the brooder (fixed with a bathrobe belt so as not to fall off and suffocate the gosling). Initially, the then less-than-1-week-old gosling didn't have any response to it at all, but after I moved the pillow as if the pillow were a human and walked, the gosling cuddled with it and no longer cried when it's with the pillow. The gosling is more than 1 year old and has 2 geese companions, but it still often cuddles with the pillow.

Make sure the temperature and humidity are right for the gosling and note that the appropriate values of both can be different in different weeks of the gosling's age. Also make sure the gosling always has access to clean food and water (not too deep as the gosling might drown). I suggest reading this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/raising-and-caring-for-goslings.67492/
getImage

I was given a single goose egg and dropped it into my incubator. It’s hatched yesterday, but it is by itself and won’t stop complaining when I leave l the room.
With no chance of a live playmate, I’ve got a toy ...

I have 9 2-year old chickens ... never raised a goose before ...

What advice can you give ?

Also .... when can you tell breed and sex?

That's a Canada goose.

Back
Top Bottom