Sinus infection? Coryza?

RossAcres

Breeding to the APA and ABA Standard
Premium Feather Member
Feb 22, 2024
Tennessee
Attached are pictures of my white cockerel.
Symptoms: swollen wattles, swollen eye, no sneezing or coughing. Little bit of drainage.
Gave him .5cc injection of Tylan 50 once. Read on here that I should be giving it 2 times a day.
Treatment Plan
-0.75 cc Tylan 50 2x a day
-poultry cell in water
Is there anything else I should do? They have been quarantined but the rest of my birds had a slight illness a few weeks ago so I’m sure it’s the same thing.

Attachments

• IMG_0611.jpeg
    IMG_0611.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0612.jpeg
    IMG_0612.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0613.jpeg
    IMG_0613.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 4
I noticed last night that the cockerel was standing with his head toward the ground. I think he’s in pain or is uncomfortable.

Does he have a bad odor from his face? He may have coryza, since that can cause the swollen wattles. Fowl cholera can as well. Tylan or Tylosin can treat symptoms of MG, but coryza may require some sulfa antibiotics as well. Sulfadimethoxine is available here in powder which is mixed in water:
https://jedds.com/products/medicox-...y419vGdTTK3HYxt8-KwZEA9ejBUy0sbzSEdGk_8RtPy1X
If you have a vet who could prescribe some, you could get Albon or SMZ-TMP which also work, and you could get those now instead of waiting a week for shipping. Tylan can be given orally as well, and dosage is 1/4 ml per pound given 3 times a day. The generic powder Tylosin is sold by Jedds as well, and can be mixed in the water. Tylosin is more for MG, but can be used in combo with the sulfa for coryza. I hope this helps.

Does he have a bad odor from his face? He may have coryza, since that can cause the swollen wattles. Fowl cholera can as well. Tylan or Tylosin can treat symptoms of MG, but coryza may require some sulfa antibiotics as well. Sulfadimethoxine is available here in powder which is mixed in water:
https://jedds.com/products/medicox-...y419vGdTTK3HYxt8-KwZEA9ejBUy0sbzSEdGk_8RtPy1X
If you have a vet who could prescribe some, you could get Albon or SMZ-TMP which also work, and you could get those now instead of waiting a week for shipping. Tylan can be given orally as well, and dosage is 1/4 ml per pound given 3 times a day. The generic powder Tylosin is sold by Jedds as well, and can be mixed in the water. Tylosin is more for MG, but can be used in combo with the sulfa for coryza. I hope this helps.
Would doxycycline be useful? My friend has that and la 200. I’m starting to worry as I don’t get sick birds this bad often.

Not that much for coryza. Both doxy and LA 200 treat MG, so you can use Tylan, or one of those in combo with the sulfa antibiotic. I would try and get sulfadimethoxine or one of the others I posted about. Use that in combo with your Tylan, doxycycline, or oxytetracycline (LA 200.) Be aware that using any antibiotic except Tylan (tylosin) in your hens, that requires an egg withdrawal time.
Would doxycycline be useful? My friend has that and la 200. I’m starting to worry as I don’t get sick birds this bad often.

Not that much for coryza. Both doxy and LA 200 treat MG, so you can use Tylan, or one of those in combo with the sulfa antibiotic. I would try and get sulfadimethoxine or one of the others I posted about. Use that in combo with your Tylan, doxycycline, or oxytetracycline (LA 200.) Be aware that using any antibiotic except Tylan (tylosin) in your hens, that requires an egg withdrawal time.
I don’t believe it is coryza. There is no odor. I gave some cooked eggs with ginger, tumeric, basil, oregano. I wasn’t able to order the one you suggested because it’s going to take a week and a half to get here. My friend has all in one powder that is meant for everything under the sun. Can I give “All in One” to them as well as the Tylan?

The only reason I thought it was coryza was from the swollen wattles. Could another rooster have bumped his wattles, or could he have been stung by a wasp or bee? The All in One Powder is more for canker, worms, respiratory and general infection if it is the same ingredients as this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Pigeons-Finc...28-8ce0-702058a8bf1c&pd_rd_i=B0CCQBLYTR&psc=1
MG can cause swelling around the eye and eye bubbles or foam. If it is MG, the Tylosin #should treat it. But there is Tylosin in the 4 in 1. It would be up to you since you are there to see.

Back
Top Bottom