Sleepin' in the nestbox

Not putting in the nest boxes wasn't really an option for us; they are built onto the back wall of the house, with a hole in the wall. Rather than taking up space in the house, they are out the back, with a hinged cover over them for taking out the eggs from outside.

What I did today was cut a piece of chicken wire to fit the opening, folded all the edges back so no sharp pieces were sticking out, and then stapled it over the opening with a staple gun so they can't get in there. It was kind of funny - they came into the house to watch me do this, and did not look very happy about it. I'm about to sneak out there with a flashlight and see what kind of sleeping arrangements they've devised now!
big_smile.png

I just peeked -- Pearl & Cleo have managed to squeeze themselves onto the little perch in front of the nest boxes. They are both up there, with their heads under their wings. They look like I would sitting on a little kids' bike seat! Most of them is hanging off!

The rest are settled down on the floor near the chickie door. They make the sweetest little peeps at night. Some of them almost sound like they're purring. How sweet! The little roos are ever vigilant though. I looked in there and saw their little black beady's looking back at me.

Oh, and not one is on the roosts.
tongue.png

G'nite all!

Back
Top Bottom