Sneezing chicken with no symptoms

PureBarnevelder

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2015
North Carolina
I want to say sorry ahead of time for the lengthy post and asking basically the same things everyone else is. I just want the details clear so help will be easier. I've recently purchased a 6mo old pullet, last Sunday. She was fine with no problems on the way home and no problems for the first 2 hrs. I'm keeping her in an old dog run that hasn't been used in years. There is an old doghouse that was full of pine or cedar shavings that had been in it for years as well. I wasn't ready for this bird but had to move fast to avoid missing out, (rarely can you find coop ready chickens in my area, chicks or used up hens are the norm). So I cleaned the shavings out, (didn't sanitize as I should have) and put her in a separate run away from the others. Almost instantly she started sneezing. So 2 days later I moved her to a separate spot. I've been told it could have been the dust. 2 days later it started raining (heavily) and she didn't sneeze as often but is still doing it. She shows no signs of disease, (crusty nose,eyes or swelling of the face or anything) after reading all I can I'm now scared for the others due to unknown illness. What I've gathered is she could be contagious forever, or possibly need to be put down. Avian flu here in NC is supposed to be so bad this year that all chicken sales have been suspended and no poultry at the State Fair. I've also been told don't treat unless I know what I'm treating for. Being a first time chicken owner I'm stumped without symptoms. Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions? Tommorow will make a week since getting her and no let up from sneezing. I'm crossing my fingers that she will be ok. Thank You for reading and any replies I may get.

David

RE: use of cedar wood shavings, see the links below:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/99738/who-says-cedar-is-bad-for-chickens
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/652599/are-cedar-chips-safe

I would advise keeping her isolated and maybe consider using an alternative to cedar and see if the is any improvement. If she has a respiratory illness, if its a virus, then yes, they are carriers for life and will infect your whole flock.

Please don't be offended, but if there is no let up in the symptoms following a change in wood chipping, then i would cull her for the safety of your existing flock.

CT

Unfortunately I'm not using shavings of any kind. Just an open floor small coop.She is shaking her head when she does it so I was thinking mites due to the old and dirty pen I put her in while cleaning the run she's in. I'm horrified that she could jeopardize the flock or the property. If I cull what's the best method for sanitizing the run and coop or better safe than sorry and do a scorched earth campaign? I'm hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. Sadly the chicken fun will be over if it is a problem. I've read a lot of your posts about the subject and agree with you on saving the flock, just hate to cull the best bird I've ever seen. Not to mention having to tell the kids I've lost their investment over a bad decision, but tis my life, bad luck, rotten luck or worse luck, never any deviation from that path. Thank You so much for the reply, I was starting to wonder if it would answered. I appreciate the words of wisdom.

David

I would definitely place her on something other than cedar...it might have been the oils, but it more likely may have been mold if it was an old unused run and old shavings.

I would look up symptoms of aspergillis, which is mold infection.
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/7/aspergillosis/

As to viral...since you are having an outbreak of AI, that could be a game changer, and you may wish to cull for safety simply due to risk of that.

If AI were not significant in the area, then I would wait it out with her in isolation being very careful not to contaminate your flock...ie tend to her last, change at least shoes and coat before taking care of her and only use those items for her....and see if this might be mold induced or mild virus.

Some virus infect forever, others do not. Infectious Bronchitis, which can present itself with just sneezing or nicking, can be mild, and after about 4 months to a year, the bird is no longer a carrier (studies disagree on time frame). IB is sensitive to UV light and the elements, and dissipates fairly quickly in the environment. Destroying bedding and keeping ill birds separate are very important...IB can carry a surprising distance on the breeze.

Likewise Respiratory Adenovirus is mild, fairly easily contained, and only infects the bird for about 2 weeks.
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/disea...denovirus-infection-mild-respiratory-disease/

Other viruses are harder to contain, and some do create permanent carriers, but it is actually a bacteria that is the chronic culprit in Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG or Chronic Respiratory Disease)....and that creates a lifetime illness and a lifetime carrier.

I suspicion it is the cedar chips with mold, but due to the local AI, I would proceed with caution.

LofMc

...honestly sounds like Infectious Bronchitis....unless she lodged something in her throat from picking around the old dog run.

If she is valuable, you may want the effort of treatment, if not, you may wish to cull to be safe.

You may wish to have her cultured by a vet or cull her and send her body for necropsy at the local AG department....I wouldn't do scorched earth without some knowledge in hand.

Sanitization depends on what you are dealing with. Sunshine and elements kill a lot of things, strong chemicals, such as bleach, are needed on others.

LofMc

Could also be CRD kicked in by transition and dust...that plays a lot into CRD for many birds.

I've suspicioned I've had that in several of mine over the years...a good round of antibiotics will stop the acute phase, but it won't keep her from being a carrier...but then again, many birds are so if you simply have a backyard flock for the family and keep a closed flock, it's not such a big deal.

LofMc

As long as there are no other symptoms, I wouldn't worry about the sneezing. Respiratory infections involve breathing, coughing, and swelling of the face, as well as discharge from the eyes and nose. If you have none of those symptoms then you shouldn't need to worry. Just keep monitoring for a few more weeks to be sure. I think some chickens might get allergies that cause sneezing, not sure, but that alone is nothing to panic over.

Last edited:
Ok great advice, was talking with the kids today about possible outcomes.Hopefully this will blow over and end my luck streak! Hopefully I'll sleep a little better, the thought of my bird suffering weighed heavily on me, not to mention having to tell the children. I'll keep the progress posted. On behalf of my family and myself, Thank You to everyone for the info and your help, it is greatly appreciated!

thumbsup.gif

David

Ok, this morning I went out and checked on the chickens, Barnevelders are great, the sneezing chicken only seems to do it when "talking". When she's walking around foraging no sneeze or head shaking. Still no symptoms of any kind, hoping for the best. Finished the corid dosing now wondering what to use in the water, apple cider vinegar or electrolytes. Any suggestions? If using acv is 3-4 tsp per gallon correct? If I need to use both do I add them to the same water or separate? Any help would be helpful, Thank You for the help!

Ok, this morning I went out and checked on the chickens, Barnevelders are great, the sneezing chicken only seems to do it when "talking". When she's walking around foraging no sneeze or head shaking. Still no symptoms of any kind, hoping for the best. Finished the corid dosing now wondering what to use in the water, apple cider vinegar or electrolytes. Any suggestions? If using acv is 3-4 tsp per gallon correct? If I need to use both do I add them to the same water or separate? Any help would be helpful, Thank You for the help!

I like to keep ACV in the water (of course raw, unfiltered, nonpasturized, with the mother, only plastic container). That gives proteins which feed the good bacteria in the gut. That can help with fungal overgrowth.

I then would offer either yogurt or put some probiotics in the water too. I'm glad she is not showing other symptoms, but don't feel you are out of the woods yet. CRD can present itself in odd ways as can Infectious Bronchitis...I had one bird with suspected CRD that would only exhibit symptoms when she ran, but otherwise looked okay. A full course of Duramycin-10 helped her to run without wheezing. (She would sneeze and shake her head as well, but otherwise looked fine until she tried to run....then she would be very out of breath)

Corid works for coccidiosis only (amprolium is the drug). It doesn't help with bacterial overgrowth such as MG. For suspicioned bacterial overgrowth, I use Duramycin-10 as it is an easy tetracycline to get at the feed store. Others like Tylan. It might not hurt to put the bird through a course of antibiotics since you don't know her history. It wouldn't help with any viral infection, but it can prevent or aid secondary bacterial overgrowth after viral infection and it would help with any CRD.

Or, you can simply do nothing more than the ACV, add some Chick Saver electrolytes for vitamin boost, and keep her separate until all symptoms are gone...giving at least a buffer week too just in case.

Sometimes they get sniffles, get better, and you never really know what it was, unless you spend the money to have it cultured.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom