So...I have an idea I need advisement on.

So I have a broody hen who went broody yesterday her mother is an amazing mom and does a good job on broodying(?)
but I kinda want call ducks so do you guys think I could hatch call ducks out from under this mama? How many eggs do you think would fit?Thanks
I've heard oodles of times about people putting duck eggs under broody chickens.

How many fit depends on the size of the hen. I'd guess my silkies could sit on about 3 of them. A bigger hen maybe 5-6?

The only issue I read about was a sad case about how the ducklings wandered into a pond on someone's property and the frantic hen drowned going after them. I can't imagine seeing that happen but I suppose it can.

Thanks @TwoCrows
I've heard oodles of times about people putting duck eggs under broody chickens.

How many fit depends on the size of the hen. I'd guess my silkies could sit on about 3 of them. A bigger hen maybe 5-6?

The only issue I read about was a sad case about how the ducklings wandered into a pond on someone's property and the frantic hen drowned going after them. I can't imagine seeing that happen but I suppose it can.
Mine are closed in at all times the eggs that don't fit under the hen can go in the incubator

I’ve never hatched them myself but I’ve read that call ducks can be hard to hatch and may need assistance. You may have more losses haching with a broody if that’s true.

I’ve never hatched them myself but I’ve read that call ducks can be hard to hatch and may need assistance. You may have more losses haching with a broody if that’s true.
I have taken that into account.I figure the ones I hatch out in the incubator I can either hand raise or if the ones under the broody don't hatch I can sneak them under her

Back
Top Bottom