So many feathers, so little time....

ears73

Songster
11 Years
Jul 30, 2008
Westchester, NY
I was wondering what people do with all the chicken feathers that scatter about.

I have heard about fly fisherman using them, and someone posted that her son made dream-catchers a few times, but I wonder what else people do with them, if anything?

If you have or can take pictures, please post them!!

I'm not sure either but I'm saving the clean unpoopy ones. I remember reading that feather Christmas trees were popular when there was a shortage of pines. I don't know if only down feathers are used.

If nothing else I will make feather ornaments for the tree and maybe a large feather star tree topper. I will make feather garlands to intertwine with pine garlands. I love natural materials and the price of feathers at craft stores had been so high that I never made feather projects. All that has changed now.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone else collected feathers. My chickens free range, so I go around the property once or twice a day to collect them. I really enjoy collecting them and find it relaxing. I hope to use some of the hundreds of feathers that I have for Christmas crafts. One idea was to use them with blown eggs for Xmas tree ornaments. I will include a picture when I sort them out.

Elizabeth

Quote:
If you can get the ends of feather to turn upwards, you can make come realy beautiful Christas trees. All you need is a cone shape piece of sytrofoam. Shorter finer feathers on top and larger thicker ones toward the bottom. If you sort them by color and graduate the colors downward it is really dramatic.

i am sending some to a lady so she can make cat toys for her kitten.

we save them and my kids do all sorts of crazy things with them. i thought the best was when one of the girls came in the living room with a bunch in her HAIR. she seriously wanted to wear them out. i figured, whatev!

Most go into the yard waste. The nicer ones go to a friend of mine who is an artist. I'm unclear if she uses the as a subject of her sketches or if she dips them in paint to use that way. Knowing her, probably both.

Thanks for the ideas... I will try to make feathered eggs this winter - sounds like a very cool idea!!

I will have to experiment with glues and stuff to see what works... I'll post a pic when I get started.

Back
Top Bottom