So, Tell Me, Would You Want Hatching Eggs from This Breed?

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
I am thrilled with the looks of my Blue Orpington pair I hatched last time and I now have 9 more in the bator due to hatch in about 10 days. The plan was to sell hatching eggs in the future from the Blue Orps. For those of you who dont know much about chicken genetics, blue mated to blue gives you 50% blue chicks, 25% black and 25% splash color. So just testing to see what you think of these. They are now 10 weeks old.
DCP_6424.jpg

DCP_6428.jpg

DCP_6430.jpg

DCP_6448.jpg

DCP_6439.jpg

DCP_6427VelvetandKate.jpg

I think they are beautiful!! And while I may not purchase any fertile eggs, (don't have a incubator, and am not sure if my broody hens will do well) I may buy chicks at a later time. I don't have any room for anymore right now. But definately in my plans for the future.

Oooooh, I think they're gorgeous!!
ep.gif

What do the black and splash look like? Is there any correlation between the percentage of color dispersal and the sex of the chicks -or is it still 50/50 throughout all the color possibilities?

If I understand what you're asking, the sex of the chick has no bearing with the blue gene. If you mate blue to splash, you get 50% blues and 50% splashes. I hatched one splash cockerel and a black one; here is the splash:
DCP_6195.jpg

DCP_6210.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom