Sour Crop - coconut yogurt instead?

TinaRew

Chirping
Aug 4, 2022
Glenmoore, PA
Dealing with sour crop in one of my girls. I separated and withheld food for 24hrs, but left out grit and water, gave her 1/3 a monistat 2% suppository 1x today and will do it 1x a day for a few more days. I’ve tried massaging her crop as well.

If by morning her crop is still full and squishy… do I continue to withhold food longer? Should I help her to regurgitate what’s in there?

When should I offer food? I read to offer Greek yogurt with no added sugar, but my children have dairy allergies and we can’t risk them getting contaminated with it, especially because they help me a lot with her. Could I do a coconut yogurt with probiotics and no sugar? Or probiotics in the water instead?

Would love to hear your experiences with sour crop and how you successfully treated it! The sooner she can be reintegrated with the others the better, as she was already getting bullied for being separated a long while dealing with a comb injury. 😩

(I also have acidified copper sulfate. I don’t know which is better to use - that or the monistat!)

Dealing with sour crop in one of my girls. I separated and withheld food for 24hrs, but left out grit and water, gave her 1/3 a monistat 2% suppository 1x today and will do it 1x a day for a few more days. I’ve tried massaging her crop as well.

If by morning her crop is still full and squishy… do I continue to withhold food longer? Should I help her to regurgitate what’s in there?

When should I offer food? I read to offer Greek yogurt with no added sugar, but my children have dairy allergies and we can’t risk them getting contaminated with it, especially because they help me a lot with her. Could I do a coconut yogurt with probiotics and no sugar? Or probiotics in the water instead?

Would love to hear your experiences with sour crop and how you successfully treated it! The sooner she can be reintegrated with the others the better, as she was already getting bullied for being separated a long while dealing with a comb injury. 😩

(I also have acidified copper sulfate. I don’t know which is better to use - that or the monistat!)
Never had this issue so not sure, I’ve only treated impacted crop. Is a vet an option..? It will most likely be expensive though..I know it can be surgically removed. U can search on yt what to do if it hasn’t gone away.

I think that would work. Thats what i did for mine. Seemed to help but unfortunately had to put him down due to some other complications.

@azygous is a good source of info on crop disorders. I would not use coconut yogurt, since it has sugar. Probiotics is why plain yogurt is usually suggested, and you can get those in Probios powder and other brands from the feedstore. Chickens with crop problems still need some food daily along with water. Egg and a little watery feed would be okay.

You can't get a little few oz yogurt and not let your kids near it? Just be patient in treatment, od the monostat doesn't work, the yogurt won't either. You might be dealing with a blocked group if that's the case.

@azygous is a good source of info on crop disorders. I would not use coconut yogurt, since it has sugar. Probiotics is why plain yogurt is usually suggested, and you can get those in Probios powder and other brands from the feedstore. Chickens with crop problems still need some food daily along with water. Egg and a little watery feed would be okay.
I do have probiotic powder, I’ll try that. The coconut yogurt I found with probiotics has 2grams of sugar. I did give her some mash today.

Back
Top Bottom